I’ve run across this a couple of times and to save me a few more Google searches….
Under Netscape 7.1, trying to download a file, there is a long message (with a temporary file address), and the following…
(long path to file like c:windowstemp….. ) could not be saved because the source file could not be found. Try again later or contact the server administrator.
Okay, to fix this we need to close out Netscape and delete or rename the following file…
(I usually prefer renaming “just in case”.) We’re not done yet though… if the above alone doesn’t solve it (some sites claim that’s all there is.), we need to close out again, delete or rename the newly created compreg.dat and then look for the following….
The next step is to find the salt folder (.slt)
and delete *(or rename)
the Cache folder there,
I’ve seen deleting the Cache folder, XUL.mfl and history.dat as routine maintenance (Netscapes equivalent of deleting Temporary internet files, and history…)
Where might the .slt or salted folder might be?
Under Windows 2000/XP with Netscape 7.x it should be at C:Documents and SettingsYOURUSERPROFILENAMEApplication DataNetscapeNSBProfiles
(They may be hidden by Windows – tools… folder options… view, show hidden files and folders.)
Windows 9x placement of the slt folder would likely be C:WindowsApplication DataNetscapeNSBProfiles
If the above does not work, or is only temporary. It might be necessary to uninstall/reinstall or upgrade to fix. Uninstall/Reinstall should be done first through the control panel (Add/Remove Programs), then delete traces of C:Program FilesNetscape.
Currently Netscape 8.0.4 is available. The current version uses firefox’s 1.0.7 browser as it’s primary rendering, but can use Explorer’s page rendering. (Netscape 8 does not include email, so it may not be an adequate upgrade for some…)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove APCProtect | APCProtect Removal Guide APCProtect is the latest rogue antivirus product in the wini family of rogue security sotware. It is generally pushed through sites that claim in order to view a video you need to install a video codec update or flash player update. This "update" is actually the loader for apcprotect. Once......
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Suite | Removal Guide Windows Enterprise Suite is a rogue antivirus application that is made to look like and mimic the actions of legitimate security applications, but it is likely the cause of more problems on your system than it solves. It seems to be made by the same group as volcano security suite......
- Kdirstat to track space hogs I'm putting this under the Windows tech support category because I've used this on a boot cd before to do the same for Windows as I'm about to describe for Linux. I need to clean up and organize my hard drive(s). But when it comes to actually deleting things you......
- Creating a Blog Video Online About two years ago, blogging hit a surge that allowed its way into the mainstream, and now everybody is blogging for a wide variety of different reasons. Blogs resemble web-based public diaries of sorts, where the creator can record their thoughts, their opinions, questions and answers and essentially anything else......
- Funny Windows Errors - How to Fix Registry Errors in Windows Have you ever wondered why your computer sometimes encounters funny windows errors after several weeks from your purchase? Your windows operating system may behave unusually, and if you think about it this happens when you install and uninstall programs in your computer. It is also common that over time, you......
- How to Fix the Windows Blue Screen of Death Hopefully after reading this article I will have some light on this for you. I will give three steps you can do to help diagnose and repair the windows blue screen error. All these are tasks you can complete on their own before taking your computer to a repair shop.......
- Disinfecting a PC… part 10
- Remove Windows Police Pro
- Green AV Remove | Remove Green Antivirus 2009
- More on Firefox 1.5 “vulnerability”
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal