US-CERT is addressing the issue of spyware. According to Spyware Confidential, they’ve released a document (pdf) on the matter, including techniques to guard against spyware. Education and awareness are two elements that are highly emphasized.
Among their recommendations:
1. Don’t trust unknown or known high-risk sources.
2. Read the fine print.
3. Pay attention when installing applications.
4. Keep operating systems and software patched.
5. If you are running Windows XP, install Service Pack 2.
6. Use trusted anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
7. Alternative internet applications
8. Browser configuration.
Sounds like a good start – being current on patches is crucial as many spyware apps install through browser exploits. Also on the antivirus front, many antivirus vendors are adding spyware detection in their definitions. I’ve long suggested to people that if they visit sites they may not trust to use something other than Internet Explorer.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware I'm usually a bit leery of new antispyware products. I do a first look at the rogue antispyware lists and just try to be as cautious as possible when moving away from the tools that I've tried and tested. I downloaded malwarebytes anti-malware very reluctantly to clean up a machine......
- Remove Antivirus Pro 2010 Antivirus Pro 2010 is another rogue security application that installs itself by ways of security vulnerabilities. This particular one seems to be installed by the braviax(cru629) family of trojans. It's related to PC Antispyware 2010, PC Security 2009, and Home Antivirus 2010. It essentially claims that your pc is unprotected......
- Zotob.b may be affecting some XP SP2/2003 installs As I noted yesterday, virii typically get updated and improved. Yesterdays reports about the zotob virus noted that Windows Xp service pack 2 and Windows 2003 were not affected by the new worm. Today however, the sans institute is reporting that zotob may be affecting some XP sp2 and 2003......
- 3 Things You Need to Really Make Money From Any Online Business Online businesses are the dream for many people in this Internet world. Every day they are in search of finding new opportunities towards making money as well as to setup an extra income source. It happens in every one's life. We do have a day job then also, by passion......
- Search History - Today And Tomorrow It could sound a bit scary but every single stroke of my keyboard is recorded by the laptop or computer memory. You had been looking for particular info on the web. In several days whenever you required to check out the similar pages again, to your utter dismay, you......
- Jim Cramer Disses Index Funds: 'In Cramer We Trust' vs. 'In Bogle We Trust'? Cramer being Cramer, he might have let his emotions go a little too far this time after the efficacy of his show -- Mad Money -- was questioned today by a Vanguard index fund proponent. It's somewhat understandable considering he's been under attack recently (Jon Stewart, Barron's, etc), but this......
- How to Remove Safety AntiSpyware | Safety AntiSpyware Removal Guide
- Microsoft to bundle anti-spyware with vista
- Can I have more than One Antivirus Program?
- Cleaning up after WMF Exploit – summary
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware