US-CERT is addressing the issue of spyware. According to Spyware Confidential, they’ve released a document (pdf) on the matter, including techniques to guard against spyware. Education and awareness are two elements that are highly emphasized.
Among their recommendations:
1. Don’t trust unknown or known high-risk sources.
2. Read the fine print.
3. Pay attention when installing applications.
4. Keep operating systems and software patched.
5. If you are running Windows XP, install Service Pack 2.
6. Use trusted anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
7. Alternative internet applications
8. Browser configuration.
Sounds like a good start – being current on patches is crucial as many spyware apps install through browser exploits. Also on the antivirus front, many antivirus vendors are adding spyware detection in their definitions. I’ve long suggested to people that if they visit sites they may not trust to use something other than Internet Explorer.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Windows RDP Denial of service vulnerability I just saw this article at zdnet news a few minutes ago. Basically a new security bulletin is out with regards to Windows Remote Desktop Server being vulnerable to a denial of service (DoS) attack. Essentially it affects Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003. It appears that under an overwhelming......
- How to Remove Eco Antivirus 2010 | Eco Antivirus 2010 Removal Guide Eco Antivirus 2010 is a slight twist (renaming) of the recent Eco Antivirus rogue that has made the rounds. These rogues pretend to be antivirus, or antispyware software, but in reality are not much more than a scam trying to squeeze money out of unsuspecting computer users. These rogue applications......
- Remove Antivirus Pro 2010 Antivirus Pro 2010 is another rogue security application that installs itself by ways of security vulnerabilities. This particular one seems to be installed by the braviax(cru629) family of trojans. It's related to PC Antispyware 2010, PC Security 2009, and Home Antivirus 2010. It essentially claims that your pc is unprotected......
- Install Interior Window Shutters to Cool Your House If you’re dealing with a lot of windows in your home and you are worried about keeping it cool inside, one of the best solutions is interior shutters. They will cost more than drapes, but they are easier to clean and much more permanent. The look of interior shutters can......
- How to Do Home Window Installation Replacing and installing windows can seem like a daunting and expensive task, but it can actually be incredibly simple to do yourself. When you do your own home window installation, you’ll be greatly cutting down on the costs since most of the cost of having windows installed is the labor.......
- Using The Internet To Search People The World Wide Web is one of the most useful innovations of mankind. There are over a thousand things you can do on the internet and searching for people is just one of the many. There's a chance you're curious about the whereabouts of your high school friend, or if......
- How to Remove Safety AntiSpyware | Safety AntiSpyware Removal Guide
- Microsoft to bundle anti-spyware with vista
- Can I have more than One Antivirus Program?
- Cleaning up after WMF Exploit – summary
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware