US-CERT is addressing the issue of spyware. According to Spyware Confidential, they’ve released a document (pdf) on the matter, including techniques to guard against spyware. Education and awareness are two elements that are highly emphasized.
Among their recommendations:
1. Don’t trust unknown or known high-risk sources.
2. Read the fine print.
3. Pay attention when installing applications.
4. Keep operating systems and software patched.
5. If you are running Windows XP, install Service Pack 2.
6. Use trusted anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
7. Alternative internet applications
8. Browser configuration.
Sounds like a good start – being current on patches is crucial as many spyware apps install through browser exploits. Also on the antivirus front, many antivirus vendors are adding spyware detection in their definitions. I’ve long suggested to people that if they visit sites they may not trust to use something other than Internet Explorer.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Antivirus System Pro | Antivirus System Pro Removal Guide Last week I had the opportunity to remove Antivirus System Pro from not one, but two machines. Given that I was seeing it a bit more frequently I thought it might be a new rogue antivirus application, but I quickly found out that it's been out at least since June......
- Remove Antivirus Pro 2010 Antivirus Pro 2010 is another rogue security application that installs itself by ways of security vulnerabilities. This particular one seems to be installed by the braviax(cru629) family of trojans. It's related to PC Antispyware 2010, PC Security 2009, and Home Antivirus 2010. It essentially claims that your pc is unprotected......
- Windows RDP Denial of service vulnerability I just saw this article at zdnet news a few minutes ago. Basically a new security bulletin is out with regards to Windows Remote Desktop Server being vulnerable to a denial of service (DoS) attack. Essentially it affects Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003. It appears that under an overwhelming......
- Discovering The Perfect Long Island Ny Web Design Services Supplier The demand for a extremely efficient and competent Ny long island web design services provider has of late increased tremendously. This being the case, you will find quite a few firms which can be offering internet designing services that seem to have mushroomed throughout New York and the nation as......
- Using The Internet To Search People The World Wide Web is one of the most useful innovations of mankind. There are over a thousand things you can do on the internet and searching for people is just one of the many. There's a chance you're curious about the whereabouts of your high school friend, or if......
- Benefits Of Utilising Affiliate Equipment Trusted Authority Affiliate resources are amongst probably the most notable money-making tools within the earth of web business. Simply, it is a technique of referring potential customers to other web-sites and earning revenue as commissions for all those referrals. Quite a few persons have attained paychecks once paychecks. Listed below......
- How to Remove Safety AntiSpyware | Safety AntiSpyware Removal Guide
- Microsoft to bundle anti-spyware with vista
- Can I have more than One Antivirus Program?
- Cleaning up after WMF Exploit – summary
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware