Total PC Defender is a rogue antivirus application that installs via malware and trojans. The software then runs each time the system boots and will run a fake scan that is designed to scare the user. This scan will find security problems, numerous viruses and they will further claim that they can clean these problems from your system only if you purchase the software. This is a scam to scare you into buying total pc defender. You really should do no such thing. Read on for how to remove total pc defender.
First you would do well to visit the control panel and then add/remove programs. Once there try to uninstall total pc defender the way you would any other pc of software. It is doubtful that this will work, but if it does you should not feel as though the task is over yet. You should instead download and scan your computer with a malware removal tool such as malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware. Once that is done, install and scan with a trusted antivirus such as AVG, or avira or trendmicro’s online housecall scan.
You should download a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware to help with this removal process. You can find a link to malwarebytes on my virus removal toolkit page. While there you may also wish to download process explorer as it may be useful in this process.
Really the simplest approach to getting malwarebytes installed will be to download and use rkill.com (from bleepingcomputer.com) to kill off the running processes associated with this rogue. After you have killed off the program by running rkill.com (run it repeatedly until the rogue is no longer running), then you should be able to install malwarebytes antimalware.
After malwarebytes (or superantispyware) is installed you should update and scan, removing anything that the scan finds. After that, scan again, then follow up with an antivirus scan. (Again, make sure that you use a trusted antivirus provider!) After this is done you should have completed your removal of total pc defender.
A true manual removal of total pc defender is not very practical, but I’m including information here that may assist you in that.
The processes related to total pc defender are as follows and should be terminated by either the control panel or process explorer in order to remove the rogue. You may need to try a few tricks to kill off the processes including rebooting into safe mode with networking, or copying and pasting the program file for task manager (taskmgr.exe) to the desktop and then renaming it and launching it. Alternatively process explorer may be able to kill off the following process:
Total PC Defender.exe
The following files and folders should be removed for the manual removal of total pc defender:
%progfiles%Total PC Defender
%progfiels%Total PC DefenderTotal PC Defender.exe
%docs%%user%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchTotal PC Defender.lnk
%docs%%user%\DesktopTotal PC Defender.lnk
%docs%%user%Start MenuTotal PC Defender
%docs%%user%Start MenuTotal PC DefenderTotal PC Defender.lnk
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove BlockScanner | Removal Guide BlockScanner looks very much like it's sibling blockwatcher and indeed these two rogue antivirus applications come from the same prolific family (wini). This family includes numerous other rogue antivirus appications such as... Softbarrier (softbarrier removal) and many others have looked the same... Shieldsafeness (see the shieldsafeness removal guide) as well......
- How to Remove AntiSpyware Shield Pro | AntiSpyware Shield Pro Removal AntiSpyware Shield Pro is a rogue antivirus that typically is installed via trojans or other malware. Once it's invited itself onto the system it will do all sorts of things. It will popup warnings about the computers security. It will scan the computer for viruses and find many files that......
- How to Remove Virus Doctor (or Remove VirusDoctor) | Virus Doctor Removal It looks as though that Virus Doctor (or Virusdoctor) is an older rogue antivirus application, but since it seems related to the search I was seeing lot's of last night about rootscan.info I thought I would devote an article to the removal instructions for virus doctor. Since it may be......
- How to Distress Furniture Perhaps you own a dresser that isn’t quite your style. Or it could be that you have a pair of end tables that are looking rather ragged. In either of these cases, you may be considering purchasing new furniture replacement pieces. But, that isn’t your only option. You may want......
- Most Popular and Useful Security Apps for a Smart Phone The following is a post from staff writer Crystal at Budgeting in the Fun Stuff, where she writes about finding the balance between paying your bills, saving for your future, and budgeting in the fun stuff along the way. Buying a smart phone is a major investment because you spend......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide
- How to Remove Windows System Defender | Removal Guide
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide)
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal