Total PC Defender is a rogue antivirus application that installs via malware and trojans. The software then runs each time the system boots and will run a fake scan that is designed to scare the user. This scan will find security problems, numerous viruses and they will further claim that they can clean these problems from your system only if you purchase the software. This is a scam to scare you into buying total pc defender. You really should do no such thing. Read on for how to remove total pc defender.
First you would do well to visit the control panel and then add/remove programs. Once there try to uninstall total pc defender the way you would any other pc of software. It is doubtful that this will work, but if it does you should not feel as though the task is over yet. You should instead download and scan your computer with a malware removal tool such as malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware. Once that is done, install and scan with a trusted antivirus such as AVG, or avira or trendmicro’s online housecall scan.
You should download a tool such as malwarebytes antimalware to help with this removal process. You can find a link to malwarebytes on my virus removal toolkit page. While there you may also wish to download process explorer as it may be useful in this process.
Really the simplest approach to getting malwarebytes installed will be to download and use rkill.com (from bleepingcomputer.com) to kill off the running processes associated with this rogue. After you have killed off the program by running rkill.com (run it repeatedly until the rogue is no longer running), then you should be able to install malwarebytes antimalware.
After malwarebytes (or superantispyware) is installed you should update and scan, removing anything that the scan finds. After that, scan again, then follow up with an antivirus scan. (Again, make sure that you use a trusted antivirus provider!) After this is done you should have completed your removal of total pc defender.
A true manual removal of total pc defender is not very practical, but I’m including information here that may assist you in that.
The processes related to total pc defender are as follows and should be terminated by either the control panel or process explorer in order to remove the rogue. You may need to try a few tricks to kill off the processes including rebooting into safe mode with networking, or copying and pasting the program file for task manager (taskmgr.exe) to the desktop and then renaming it and launching it. Alternatively process explorer may be able to kill off the following process:
Total PC Defender.exe
The following files and folders should be removed for the manual removal of total pc defender:
%progfiles%Total PC Defender
%progfiels%Total PC DefenderTotal PC Defender.exe
%docs%%user%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchTotal PC Defender.lnk
%docs%%user%\DesktopTotal PC Defender.lnk
%docs%%user%Start MenuTotal PC Defender
%docs%%user%Start MenuTotal PC DefenderTotal PC Defender.lnk
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove AntiSpyware Shield Pro | AntiSpyware Shield Pro Removal AntiSpyware Shield Pro is a rogue antivirus that typically is installed via trojans or other malware. Once it's invited itself onto the system it will do all sorts of things. It will popup warnings about the computers security. It will scan the computer for viruses and find many files that......
- How to Remove Personal Protector | Personal Protector Removal Guide Personal Protector is a rogue antivirus program that is advertised through aggressive advertising and fake scan sites. Fake scan sites are web pages that upon loading appear to be running a virus scan or other check of your local computer. In reality these are usually simply an animation and every......
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide SiteAdware is a rogue antivirus application that is typically installed without the computer users express permission. It is promoted through trojans and fake video codec or flash player updates. Once established on the sysem it will tend to do a falsified scan of your pc and claim that you have......
- Do I Really Need A Completely Free Spyware Removal Program? The need for an effective antispyware program has become an essential component to combat the online threat from adware. The large number of these types of adware software programs is a common pest for everyday people using the internet each day. Just as aeroplanes made the world a smaller place......
- Removing Caulk Guide If you are planning on putting down caulk, you probably have caulk that needs to be removed. Unless you are installing something brand new, there is likely caulk left behind that has to be taken care of. The following is a brief tutorial that will give you some useful tips......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- How to Remove System Defender | System Defender Removal Guide
- How to Remove Windows System Defender | Removal Guide
- How to Remove Windows Enterprise Defender (Removal Guide)
- How to Remove AntiMalware | Antimalware Removal Guide
- Remove Total Security 2009 | TotalSecurity 2009 Removal