Apple is fixing 15 security flaws with the 10.4.8 version upgrade of Mac OS X. (There is a second update as well…. Security Update 2006-006). In typical fashion there are a bundle of issues in these updates. Several address remotely exploitable vulnerabilities.
According to Incidents.org 10.4.8 addresses the following….
- connecting to wireless networks using the EAP-FAST protocol
- Apple USB modem reliability
- using OpenType fonts in Microsoft Word
- compatibility with 3rd party USB hubs
- scanner performance
- RAW camera support
- printing documents with Asian language names
- performance of the Translation widget
- broadband network performance
That didn’t sound too bad, but some of the bad issues are lumped in to the 2006-006 security update.
Some of the remotely exploitable vulnerabilities COULD be exploited merely by a user visiting a malicious website that was specially crafted to take advantage of the flaw. Patch away.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Two critical fixes from Microsoft on December patch Tuesday December's rendition of Microsoft's monthly Patch Tuesday will feature two critical security fixes. The malicious software removal tool will also be updated... Additionally, Microsoft will issue two non-security high-priority updates through Windows Update and Software Update Services, and three non-security high-priority updates through Microsoft Update and Windows Server Update Services.......
- OpenOffice.org security update Version 2.0.3 of OpenOffice.org has been released. It includes quite a few bugfixes, including three security related fixes. The security vulnerabilities were apparently found in an internal audit. One of the improvements in 2.0.3 is an integrated update check, to be able to check for available updates directly from within......
- Fasten your seatbelts - Browser vulnerability a day to be announced in July I hope there aren't too many browser developers that have planned on taking July off..... I ran across browserfun.blogspot.com where it is planned to release information on a web browser vulnerability EACH DAY for the month of July. This comes to us from HD Moore of Metasploit. Judging from This......
- My Journey’s July 16th 2009 Update One of the main reasons I started this site was to keep myself accountable to anyone that was reading. Ironic part, is that when I started I probably had no one reading so it was an exercise in futility! Fiscal Update My last update was on May 29, 2009 and......
- Mac OS X Lion - Only Available for Download from the Mac App Store Apple officially announced the details surrounding the launch of their greatly anticipated Mac OSX Lion today. Lion will bring many new advanced features while once again lifting the Mac operating system over its competition. Many of the new features have already been seen, but have been exposed with more detail......
- My Plan to Beat the Lending Club, Peer-to-Peer Investing Average ~ ~ ~ April 2011 Update: Shutting Down My Lending Club Investments over Q&A Change ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ December 2010 Update: Earning 15.6% NAR on Lending Club investment portfolio ~ ~ ~ Growing up, most kids I knew wanted to be an astronaut or play in the......
- Possible network printing problems with the unofficial WMF patch
- SONY DRM rootkit – the gift that keeps on giving
- Apple iTunes vulnerability on Windows
- Apple Quicktime and OS X updates to patch multiple security vulnerabilities
- Fasten your seatbelts – Browser vulnerability a day to be announced in July