Apple is fixing 15 security flaws with the 10.4.8 version upgrade of Mac OS X. (There is a second update as well…. Security Update 2006-006). In typical fashion there are a bundle of issues in these updates. Several address remotely exploitable vulnerabilities.
According to Incidents.org 10.4.8 addresses the following….
- connecting to wireless networks using the EAP-FAST protocol
- Apple USB modem reliability
- using OpenType fonts in Microsoft Word
- compatibility with 3rd party USB hubs
- scanner performance
- RAW camera support
- printing documents with Asian language names
- performance of the Translation widget
- broadband network performance
That didn’t sound too bad, but some of the bad issues are lumped in to the 2006-006 security update.
Some of the remotely exploitable vulnerabilities COULD be exploited merely by a user visiting a malicious website that was specially crafted to take advantage of the flaw. Patch away.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- F-Secure patches security vulnerabilities I've seen several reports on F-Secure's security bulletin about a code execution vulnerability. The announcement on the f-secure blog mentions that it affects several versions of their products on Windows and Linux. They're not currently aware of any attacks, but suggest patching pre-emptively. They also give a thanks to the......
- Time for Apple Mac OS X updates again From the look of it Apple has released a bunch of updates for OS X. A number of security issues are detailed. As always, SANS has some good details and links to more info on each of the ~13 issues. Many of them are legacy bugs if you will from......
- Mac Wireless driver Security vulnerability revisited A couple weeks ago the hot story was about the demonstration of a vulnerability in a 3rd party wireless card driver on a Mac. The individuals that demonstrated the vulnerability (in a video taped presentation) also claimed that many wireless drivers were vulnerable to this same flaw and it included......
- These Wordpress Plugins May help Wordpress Plugins You May Need Image by teddy-rised via Flickr I have been asked many different times from new bloggers what plugins they should use. I think a big part of it comes down to personal taste.Â While there are some essentials many of them are just add-on plugins......
- My Plan to Beat the Lending Club, Peer-to-Peer Investing Average ~ ~ ~ April 2011 Update: Shutting Down My Lending Club Investments over Q&A Change ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ December 2010 Update: Earning 15.6% NAR on Lending Club investment portfolio ~ ~ ~ Growing up, most kids I knew wanted to be an astronaut or play in the......
- 'TurboWeb' Removed from Mac App Store [Updated] It appears that previously reviewed app TurboWeb is no longer available on the Mac App Store. TurboWeb was a free app that provided a bare bones but lightning fast web browser. One discussion post on Reddit notes that artwork used in the development of the app was from another product......
- Possible network printing problems with the unofficial WMF patch
- SONY DRM rootkit – the gift that keeps on giving
- Apple iTunes vulnerability on Windows
- Apple Quicktime and OS X updates to patch multiple security vulnerabilities
- Fasten your seatbelts – Browser vulnerability a day to be announced in July