Apple is fixing 15 security flaws with the 10.4.8 version upgrade of Mac OS X. (There is a second update as well…. Security Update 2006-006). In typical fashion there are a bundle of issues in these updates. Several address remotely exploitable vulnerabilities.
According to Incidents.org 10.4.8 addresses the following….
- connecting to wireless networks using the EAP-FAST protocol
- Apple USB modem reliability
- using OpenType fonts in Microsoft Word
- compatibility with 3rd party USB hubs
- scanner performance
- RAW camera support
- printing documents with Asian language names
- performance of the Translation widget
- broadband network performance
That didn’t sound too bad, but some of the bad issues are lumped in to the 2006-006 security update.
Some of the remotely exploitable vulnerabilities COULD be exploited merely by a user visiting a malicious website that was specially crafted to take advantage of the flaw. Patch away.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Two critical fixes from Microsoft on December patch Tuesday December's rendition of Microsoft's monthly Patch Tuesday will feature two critical security fixes. The malicious software removal tool will also be updated... Additionally, Microsoft will issue two non-security high-priority updates through Windows Update and Software Update Services, and three non-security high-priority updates through Microsoft Update and Windows Server Update Services.......
- Microsoft advisory on Sober "Awakening" Microsoft has posted a security advisory (912920) on the previously reported "awakening" of the Sober worm, expected January 6th. Systems that are infected with Win32/Sober.Z@mm may download and run malicious files from certain Web domains beginning on January 6, 2006 Further they give the following note.... Microsoft will release an......
- Infocon Green and apple updates The Sans institute (incidents.org) has returned to infocon green. Explaining that there are no fundamentally new variations on the exploits that were circulating and the situation is fairly static. (No big moves in infected machines/port scanning activity.) Also, they note that Apple has released several updates. They effect 10.3.9 and......
- Apple iPhone OS 4.0 features detailed, already jailbroken Apple finally added multitasking to the iPhone OS. Apple unveiled seven major features in the latest version of its OS. Apple also released a beta version of the software to iPhone Developer Program members. The iPhone OS 4 beta release includes an updated Software Development Kit (SDK) with over 1,500......
- iPhone, Firefox, Safari, IE8 Pwned! The three day Pwn2Own contest at the CanSecWest security show is on. And at the end of the day, 3 major browsers, Firefox, Safari and IE8 were successfully exploited. Also a non-jailbroken iPhone was also hacked and its SMS database was stolen. Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann redirected an......
- These Wordpress Plugins May help Wordpress Plugins You May Need Image by teddy-rised via Flickr I have been asked many different times from new bloggers what plugins they should use. I think a big part of it comes down to personal taste.Â While there are some essentials many of them are just add-on plugins......
- Possible network printing problems with the unofficial WMF patch
- SONY DRM rootkit – the gift that keeps on giving
- Apple iTunes vulnerability on Windows
- Apple Quicktime and OS X updates to patch multiple security vulnerabilities
- Fasten your seatbelts – Browser vulnerability a day to be announced in July