Linux systems give you many possibilities and one of them is good scheduling (cron), another is good scripting capabilities. I’ve done things with linux fairly easily that with Windows would have been next to impossible and required me to download several other things to make it happen. Anyway, I recently saw mention of a linux, bash scripted podcatching client. Basically you tell what podcasts you subscribe to and it downloads them on a schedule. It reminded me of a couple scripts I’ve got running that do similar things, but not from a true rss/podcast feed.
First up, I’ve mentioned before that I’ve been brushing up on my spanish the last couple of years. I’ve found shortwave news broadcasts to be helpful. One such is the Voice of America buenos dias America broadcast. Of course, many shortwave broadcasters make their shows available online. I found the place online where it’s updated each day and did a very simple script….
/usr/bin/wget ftp://8475.ftp.storage.akadns.net/mp3/voa/latam/span/buenos.mp3 -O buenos_$date.mp3
It’s a simple wget, the file at their end changes each day, I get the date in a format I want and wen wget pulls the file down it saves it with the date so I can keep track of deleting old ones. Nice and simple.
I’ve done an almost identical script for radio Nederlands noticias… the only difference being a different web server for the wget. The only thing now to do is to set the script as executable and schedule it with cron (or kcron) for a daily download. One warning, there will be no size limitations, so you’ll have to clean up/archive old ones on your own. Some will not be as straightforward as the above. I have a couple for instance that use lynx to dump the source of a webpage and then grep for mp3 and then pipe through sed to get the address to the mp3 file, a bit tricky and site specific, but it works.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Remote Tech Support using VNC (Ultravnc SC and x11vnc+wrapper script) Ok, some time back I'd done a writeup on UltraVNC SC, which is a nice customizable (windows version) VNC server that essentially let's someone doing remote support build their own downloadable .exe that runs and automatically tries to make a direct connection to a "listening" vnc viewer. It's good for......
- Quickbooks "An error has occurred in the script on this page" I ran into an install of Quickboos Pro 2005 that was having a peculiar problem. When any company file was opened I was seeing an Internet Explorer Script Error message (quickbooks uses Internet Explorer to parse the company page ( Usually C:\Program Files\Intuit\Quickbooks\Components\Pages\Comppage.qpg ) The error basically said "An error......
- Remote tech support with anything - would I do it? I've tried to ask myself if I'd trust someone enough to let them run a remote session on my own desktop to solve a problem. I think the answer is "it depends". If you think about it, I do tech support for home users quite a bit and they let......
- SEO Principles for WordPress Blogs WordPress is a relatively SEO friendly blogging tool to begin with. It offers a linking structure that makes it relatively easy for spiders to crawl your pages, and the code contains very little validation errors if any at all. However, there are a few additional steps that you can follow......
- Movie Scripts Memorabilia -> Autographs: Original -> Movies-> Scripts If you love movies, one of the best collectible items you can find is an original autographed movie script. These are very rare in many cases, but when you do find one for your favorite movie there is always cause for celebration. This......
- File Later FileLater is proud to be the first company on the Internet to offer both personal tax extensions and business tax extensions through IRS e-file. As taxpaying Americans, the founders of FileLater had struggled for years to meet the dreaded April 15 deadline for personal income taxes as well as......
- Juice – formerly ipodder podcast client for Linux (Windows and Mac too…)
- Bashpodder linux podcasting client
- Shortwave Radio schedule browsing Application
- Converting spaces in filenames to underscores
- Offline web browsing script