Ok – tv card – no name brand is now working… it was a bttv compatible card but it’s always been “strange” for lack of a better word. NOTHING under linux has seemed to correctly detect it. Sometimes I have seen it given the following settings… bttv card=72 tuner=2, but it’s “close” not working. With those settings I get the channels showing up “in the wrong places” black and white (as if it’s tuning the wrong frequencies – which it likely is.)
Anyway, I hadn’t found an entry for bttv in my modprobe.conf file when I first started looking, so I’d been trying changes in modprobe.preload. I really need to get clear in my head which does what. After trying (once again) mandrake’s (sorry, mandriva’s) tvcard wizard I noticed that indeed an entry was in modprobe.conf like this…
bttv radio=1 tuner=2
This left the bttv driver trying to guess which card to use, the log had some humerous results….
bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
Dec 16 01:09:16 localhost kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
Dec 16 01:09:16 localhost kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0a.0, irq: 18, latency: 32, mmio: 0xee800000
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,autodetected]
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
Dec 15 23:24:08 localhost kernel: bttv0: using tuner=-1
Anyway, now – modprobe.conf has bttv tuner=2 card=10 radio=1 gbuffers=4
which is a combination of what was there before (I don’t think I had gbuffers set). It does work though. (As does mythtv – same version as before – it seems that package didn’t get an upgrade.)
The “start new session” missing may be fixed as well. (I’ll have to wait until I log out and back in to make sure…) Under the previous version of Mandrake I was able to have something like this…
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -deferglyphs 16
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9 -deferglyphs 16
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10 -deferglyphs 16
:4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11 -deferglyphs 16
:5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12 -deferglyphs 16
In my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file and that was sourced by kdm when it started (which handles the “start new session” functionality. It seems that may not still be the case. I found a suggestion that /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc (new location – good to see it in etc – it used to be in a terrible to remember spot on mandrake) would need…
ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3,:4,:5 added after
We’ll see if that did it after I finish the kubuntu install in this qemu image I’ve got up.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- chkconfig for ubuntu or other debian based linux systems As I've mentioned I've got an ubuntu based test system. Most of my linux experience has been from a red-hat derivitive-based background and for that, at the command line, you have chkconfig which is a good tool for checking the configuration of services to run at startup. It is a......
- Modern Computer Viruses are almost NEVER from whom they claim to be from This is one that I've probably talked about before, but it's worth rehashing because of a call I had this afternoon. A customer had been receiving phone calls and email messages from folks asking that he stop sending them a virus. Essentially all of the viruses were claiming to be......
- Inkjet printer buying guide Cooltech zone currently has an article(slashdotting underway I think), on the topic of an inkjet buying guide. It may be a bit slow at the moment, but if you're in the market for an inkjet printer, this may be just what you need to help sift through the marketing. One......
- Ebay on the Razor's Edge I recently switched from Gillette's Mach 3 Power Turbo to their new Fusion Power line. Yes it's the disposable razor with 5 blades and a battery. I recommend it, but it's fairly pricey. At the local Rite Aid and it was $28 for an 8 pack of blades. And that's......
- Pay Per Click Welcome to clix-cents.com At clix-cents.com you will get paid by visiting our sponsor's ads. Upgrade to Premium Member for only $2.00 We are the first ptc program to allow you to recruit up to 100,000 referrals and at $0.0005 per click it can really add up please review the......
- Determining Your Target Heartbeat Rate There are a bunch of little ways to mathematically figure out how you can improve your diet and exercise, and one of these ways is to determine your target heartbeat rate, and then use that information when you are exercising in order to get the most out of every single......
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 10
- Linux Kernel ptrace local DoS vulnerability
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 5
- Firewire/USB card and ethernet incompatibilities on Ubuntu 6.06
- The 2nd journey begins… Mandriva 2006 upgrade 2 – Part 9