Sunbelt has this warning about yet another fake security site. This one is laid out a bit different than the others we’ve seen in recent days. It’s not quite the same spoof of the Windows Security Center, but it makes use of Microsoft’s security logo. (And it does say Security Center at the top of the page along with “Help protect your pc”.) From sunbelt…
For your block lists:
The page basically says… “Attention! Security center has detected spyware on your pc sending private information and documents to remote computer. One of the processes (Win32res.exe) has just sent this information:”
Full PC Control: gained
sent information: approximately 17 Megabytes.
Your current security software is unable to stop this kind ofr spyware. To clean up your computer and prevent further possibilities to be infected you need to download one of these security softwares.
winantiviruspro 2006, winfixer 2005 and winantispyware 2005 are listed…..
They’re also warning about vcodec which may well be related to the other spoofed security center sites…
Our spyware researchers have been investigating Vcodec.com. This is a site that has a program called “VCodec v3.05b is new generation multimedia compressor/decompressor which registers into the Windows collection of multimedia drivers…”
After it’s installed, it does great multimedia things like popup a bubble in the system tray over what looks like the automatic updates icon saying “Your computer is infected! Dangerous malware infection was detected on your pc. The system will now download and install most efficient antimalware program to prevent data loss and your private information theft. Click here to protect your computer from the biggest malware threats.”
VideoCodec3_05b.exe is not widely recognized as a trojan (sunbelt passed it through virustotal and only Kaspersky and NOD32v2 detected it as malware.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Huge identity theft ring discovered by spyware research Sunbelt blog, reports that they have uncovered a MASSIVE amount of personal data, ranging from usernames to passwords to banking information and much more while investigating spyware. They found keylogger transcript software with lots of personal information. Sunbelt develops software to protect against spam and spyware and other security threats.......
- How to Remove PCSecure | PCSecure Removal Guide PCSecure is a recent rogue antivirus from the notorious and prolific wini family of rogue security software. It is typically promoted via trojan downloaders. Usually these will be on a website with a video that may be highly sought after. In order to see the video though you are told......
- How to Remove Desktop Security 2010 | Desktop Security 2010 Removal Guide Desktop Security 2010 is a rogue antivirus application. It is a successor to Total PC Defender and installs on your pc without permission through the use of malware. Once on your system it will create numerous files that it then finds during scheduled scans and it claims these files are......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- Combating Computer Espionage Combating Computer EspionageCombating Computer Espionage In some cases, spies as well as covert operations are found in war grounds or politically tense regions. Now in spite of everything, you can find spies in addition to covert operations running undetected within your personal computer system as you use your computer along......
- CA Security Comprehensive Internet Security & Data Protection CA Internet Security Suite Plus, an all-in-one security suite, gives you maximum protection against viruses, spyware, and other internet threats that can compromise your privacy and harm your PC. CA Internet Security Suite Plus Comprehensive Virus and Spyware Protection CA AntiVirus Plus keeps......
- Beware with video codec downloads….
- Beware: Wolves in sheeps clothing found on different sites (security scams)
- Another interesting spyaxe note
- Google trying to warn about dangerous pages
- How to Remove Personal Security | Personal Security Removal Guide