Sunbelt has this warning about yet another fake security site. This one is laid out a bit different than the others we’ve seen in recent days. It’s not quite the same spoof of the Windows Security Center, but it makes use of Microsoft’s security logo. (And it does say Security Center at the top of the page along with “Help protect your pc”.) From sunbelt…
For your block lists:
The page basically says… “Attention! Security center has detected spyware on your pc sending private information and documents to remote computer. One of the processes (Win32res.exe) has just sent this information:”
Full PC Control: gained
sent information: approximately 17 Megabytes.
Your current security software is unable to stop this kind ofr spyware. To clean up your computer and prevent further possibilities to be infected you need to download one of these security softwares.
winantiviruspro 2006, winfixer 2005 and winantispyware 2005 are listed…..
They’re also warning about vcodec which may well be related to the other spoofed security center sites…
Our spyware researchers have been investigating Vcodec.com. This is a site that has a program called “VCodec v3.05b is new generation multimedia compressor/decompressor which registers into the Windows collection of multimedia drivers…”
After it’s installed, it does great multimedia things like popup a bubble in the system tray over what looks like the automatic updates icon saying “Your computer is infected! Dangerous malware infection was detected on your pc. The system will now download and install most efficient antimalware program to prevent data loss and your private information theft. Click here to protect your computer from the biggest malware threats.”
VideoCodec3_05b.exe is not widely recognized as a trojan (sunbelt passed it through virustotal and only Kaspersky and NOD32v2 detected it as malware.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove APCSecure | APCSecure Removal Guide APCSecure is yet another rogue antivirus application from the prolific and annoying wini family of rogues. This particular variant also comes with a rootkit called TDL3. Trojans are used to promote this rogue antivirus and you will likely find that it will create multiple empty files on your computer that......
- Network Security guide for the home or small business network - Part 11 - Why? Alright, so you're still reading this series and you're thinking. Look, I'm not protecting national security secrets. All I'm doing is (running a business|emailing my grandkids|using the web for research). True, good point. You're not at the defense department. OK. Let's say you just use your computer for email and......
- How to Remove PCSecure | PCSecure Removal Guide PCSecure is a recent rogue antivirus from the notorious and prolific wini family of rogue security software. It is typically promoted via trojan downloaders. Usually these will be on a website with a video that may be highly sought after. In order to see the video though you are told......
- CA Security Comprehensive Internet Security & Data Protection CA Internet Security Suite Plus, an all-in-one security suite, gives you maximum protection against viruses, spyware, and other internet threats that can compromise your privacy and harm your PC. CA Internet Security Suite Plus Comprehensive Virus and Spyware Protection CA AntiVirus Plus keeps......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- 06/08 - ETF Trading - No Trades Today The broader market is in an over-sold condition. Notice the low RSI(2) reading for SPY in the updated chart below. So why not go long here and make an etf trade? Our rules tell us to trade long only when the etf price is greater than its 200 day moving......
- Beware with video codec downloads….
- Beware: Wolves in sheeps clothing found on different sites (security scams)
- Another interesting spyaxe note
- Google trying to warn about dangerous pages
- How to Remove Personal Security | Personal Security Removal Guide