It has been a few days now, but I noticed that WordPress 2.0.4 has now been released and is highly recommended due to the fixing of a few security issues. They also list a number of bugfixes as well. So, if you’re running a site based on wordpress it’s time to update. It’s really a fairly painless process. I do recall upgrading ONE site to 2.0.3 and it was quite painFUL…. things went quite wrong and I had to restore the database from a backup. BUT… I’ve now upgraded 5 or so installs to 2.0.4 without a hitch. (One was a 2.0.3 install and the others were (I believe) 2.0.2).
I haven’t yet seen specifics on the security issues, but I did see a mention at SecurityFocus and you can be bet that there will be some people looking for details to see what they can exploit.
For your info (and my future reference)…. here’s the way I tend to do these upgrades. Open up a tab with the main site page (domain.com) and a tab with the admin page…. open a ssh session to the ssh console of the site.
Next…. my host has a tendency to force most commands to be interactive which drives me nuts. alias cp=’cp’ is the first thing I do…
cp wp-config.php ./backup
cp wp-content ./backup -r
Now…. we’ve got everything unzipped to a directory called wordpress (it just defaults to that) and I’ve got everything backed up that I really need. (Database backups are handled by a cron job…)
OK – in the admin page go to the plugins and disable everything.
NOW back to ssh
ls (just to see what’s there….)
cp * ../ -r
Now go back and re-activate plugins. In the case of a database upgrade it will say you’re database needs upgrading click here…. next page gives a link to click and that’s all. Then it asks if you really want to activate plugin “” (it forgot what we were trying to do in the midst of the database upgrade.)
It takes you back to the plugin page – nothing has been enabled yet – you can go through and activate what you had previously. Refresh the main site page (to make sure all looks good.)
Then you can cd .. in the ssh session and rm latest.zip and the temporary wordpress directory.
It really makes for a relatively quick process. (5-10 minutes/site?)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Wordpress Stats plugin not updating - fix There are a lot of good things to like about the newer versions of wordpress. It seems to keep getting better. One of the really cool plugins is the Wordpress.com stats plugin. This lets you have a nice simple stats interface accessible from your Dashboard on your wordpress blog. (It......
- Wordpress 2.0 is now released I saw an article at Barrapunto that Wordpress 2.0 is now available. I went over to the Wordpress site and found indeed it is released. (No mention in their blog yet of it.) Here's the Gaceta Digital Article that Barrapunto "found"... It can be downloaded from the Wordpress site. There......
- Another trackback spam storm overnight.... All of the the swarms of trackback spam seemed to last an hour give or take a few minutes, so it does look kind of like "rent-a-bot" activity, lots of different IP addresses, trackback spam sites seem to have a common theme - the last batch was insurance type sites..........
- ECommerce Internet Site Hosting - Defining Your Requirements The blueprint project reviewWhen you are setting up a web based business selling items or services from your web site you may require eCommerce website hosting. An on-line enterprise has some added requirements but the usual criteria for choosing a hosting service are still relevant, in fact they're of greater......
- Comparing WordPress Hosting Wordpress has created an incredible opportunity for those who are looking to take control of their future. It has provided the entire world with a system and service that simplifies web ownership. Users can create blogs and content quickly and easily, opening up broad possibilities for the greater population. Anyone......
- All About Blogging with Wordpress http://wordpress.com/ http://wordpress.org Getting WordPress There are two ways to have your own Wordpress blog. You can host your blog for free using the wordpress free hosting solution, the link visit if you would like to start a free blog with easy free hosting: http://wordpress.com The other way is host a......
- WordPress Stats plugin not updating – fix
- WordPress update to 2.0.2
- WordPress 2.0 is now released
- WordPress 2.0 plugins
- WordPress 2.0 getting close