Just when you thought we had a good understanding of the recent zero-day WMF (Windows metafile exploit) it’s worse. Sans is reporting on a new variation on the exploit released today. They have gone to yellow (again) to warn people. Here are some details. This exploit was “made by the folks at metasploit and xfocus, together with a anonymous source.”
The exploit generates files:
with a random size;
no .wmf extension, (.jpg), but could be any other image extension actually;
a random piece of junk in front of the bad call; carefully crafted to be larger than the MTU on an ethernet network;
a number of possible calls to run the exploit are listed in the source;
a random trailer
What makes it worse is that current IDS rules will likely not stop this new variation. Nor will current antivirus signatures. Also….
Judging from the source code, it will likely be difficult to develop very effective signatures due to the structures of the WMF files.
They suggested re-evaluating any defences against the bug and also mention the unofficial patch at http://www.hexblog.com/2005/12/wmf_vuln.html that I mentioned earlier today.
So in other words batten down the hatches it’s going to be a rocky start to the year in Computer security. Good luck.
–update 7PM EST–
The Security Fix has some coverage as well.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Network security - how safe is your network? Looking at ARP A while back I did a network security series and one of the points that I mentioned was that it's important to know what is normal for your network. In other words, what machines are NORMALLY connected, what services are normally running, etc. Well, I'm about to start a serious......
- How to Remove Anti-Virus Elite | Anti-Virus Elite Removal Guide Anti-Virus Elite is a rogue antivirus application. These rogue antivirus applications pose as a legitimate security application, but in reality is a scam to try to trick you out of money. They will find and claim that there are multiple security problems with your computer. They will claim that you......
- Disinfecting a PC... part 1 This is the first in a several part series documenting the cleaning of an infected PC. The only real noteworthy item is that it was a dial-up only connection and was rather infested for that. (On par with some of the broadband connected pc's I've seen. It's also an interesting......
- My Bankruptcy Papers document.write(''); Bankruptcy is a legal court process that gives debtors a fresh financial start. Through bankruptcy, debts may be eliminated or a debtor may be given additional time to repay debts. Certain debts are not forgiven through bankruptcy. For example, child support, spousal support and some student loans are......
- Free Wireless Access Can Be a Security Problem Free wireless hotspots is a huge security and privacy threat since hackers have the tools to really make life difficult. Check out the video below. Connecting to a random WiFi hotspot is much like strolling into a bar in a strange part of town. Most likely you'll have a good......
- Treasure Isle Marina Treasure Isle Marina is Located in: Treasure Island, CA Phone: 415.981.2416 Website: http://www.treasure-isle.com/ Slips: 107 About the Marina: The marina is located in Clipper Cove, and is considered to be one of the most beautiful harbors in the bay area. As soon as the renovations on the marina and the......
- WMF exploit situation summary…
- Another update to exploit?
- More testing on the second WMF exploit
- WMF exploit unofficial patch
- Antivirus vs. WMF exploit