I’ve got all traces of the old cms system off of the server now. (Well there might be a README here or there, but all php scripts from the old CMS are now gone.) At this point I can disclose a bit about the sudden move.
Well, for starters, any web scripting is just like your computer software. It needs to be kept up to date, there are people out there that are continually looking for unpatched software that can be exploited. There were a couple of vulnerabilities in the old CMS system which had been fixed sometime back but I had not updated the software install. There are a couple reasons why and I’m sure they remind me of the reasons not to update desktop software.
1) The fixed version was a big change and I didn’t know how much work it might make for me in fixing things.
2) The license of the software had changed at one point and there was a good deal of ambiguity just how pricey the new version was going to be. (By the way they’ve recently returned it to a GPL licence)
3) I didn’t have much time.
OK, no really good excuses on there, but….
I was checking for email Thursday afternoon and noticed that things had “dried up”. No messages had come in after 3PM, so I start nosing around and find the site has been “disabled for security”. This of course had me very interested. I inquired with my host and heard nothing. After waiting several hours, I re-enabled the site and started nosing through log files and looking for anything out of the ordinary. I did find the file that had been compromised. At this point, the site was up, but MySQL, which the CMS relied on was down, so things were relatively safe. After talking with tech support, they disabled the site because it (along with a number of others at my provider) was being used to mount a DoS attack against their DNS servers. Things were “neutralized” now and it’s time to look at updating your CMS. Well, it just so happens that the website for the CMS I was using was unresponsive, which had me look around and find wordpress. (Which I’m quite glad I did BTW.)
I think what compounded the problem is there were several installs (and versions) of the CMS in my site. I had done a minor update to the one in my main site, but an older testing version had been neglected and was discovered by the hackers that were using it. (Another reminder that a test folder on a webserver isn’t private.)
If there’s enough time tomorrow I’ll try to give a few more details on the exploit that was.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Interesting NASA open source software I was just browsing Sourceforge.net and looking at the most downloaded software and something from NASA caught my eye. It's called World Wind. The link is to their home page (not the project page.) It's Windows only, but looks very nicely done from what I can see. It gives the......
- BBPress 0.9x | Wordpress compatible forum software As you know I've used wordpress as a platform for many of my sites. It makes updating and adding information so quick and easy (as well as great extensions available for it and good theme possibilities.) Anyway, I've wanted forum functionality on a few sites as well and so I......
- How to Remove SoftStronghold | Soft Stronghold Removal Guide SoftStronghold is the latest rogue antivirus application in the LONG line of Wini rogues... Softveteran was the most recent (see the softveteran removal guide) but.... SoftCop (see the SoftCop removal guide.) But, the line goes much further back.... Softsoldier (How to remove SoftSoldier), ( TrustFighter TrustFighter Removal Guide, TrustSoldier removal......
- What You Need From a WordPress Hosting Company Wordpress has taken over the world of websites and blogs, creating a simple and easy way for individuals get information out into the world of the Internet. The system gives users an incredibly easy platform to create the blogs, information, and news sites that they need to be successful. The......
- Google Web Page Rank Drop Off Several webmasters have been reporting a Google Page Rank drop in latest weeks which has had blended outcomes on the search positions of numerous millions of web internet sites. Whilst numerous marketplace insiders were bemoaning drops in search consequence positions, many internet sites appeared to come by means of Google's......
- Outlining The Main Contrasts Between UK And US Web Hosting Website marketing is the current trend of modern business. It seeks to exploit online resources to reach out to the public. Websites are used to educate and relay specific information to internet surfers. The process of developing sites is a long one and requires a lot of planning and expertise.......
- Blackberry Desktop Manager Syncing Calendar to Outlook 2000
- I’m just a bit ill at the moment…..
- Urgent AOL update
- ABC news weighs in on the new browser wars