Yes folks, it’s Windows Police Pro, the gift that keeps on giving apparently. It’s crawled back into Googles top searches tonight. If you want to see how to remove it look at Windows Police Pro Removal, you may be interested in Who is behind Windows Police Pro and probably will need to visit the virus tool removal list. The worst trick this virus plays….
Is associating all exe files in the registry with it’s own desote.exe process. That’s pure clever evil genius. This way you may not be able to run regular exe files from the virus removal toolkit. Here’s a trick YOU can play in cleaning it up.
Rename your download executable (such as malwarebytes antimalware) to a .com file. Yes, why does it need to be .exe when .com will bypass the slimey *!*@*@ of Windows Police Pro.
If you don’t want to hack the registry manually to restore the correct association for exe files, then you look at this:
There is a batch script to restore exe file associations here that may solve the issue. (About the 9th one down.)
(Note to MicroSoft, why are exe file associations allowed to be overridden in the registry?) It’s really amazing to me that I’m still getting so much traffic on this one pest. I’ve read of many people getting rid of it only to have the system hosed (.exe association) can’t launch programs, give up and reinstall.
By the way if you’ve already removed desote.exe and still need to fix the registry. Regedit.exe can be renamed to regedit.com to bypass the file association that Windows Police Pro uses.
From kellyscorner (from whence the above registry fix for exe files comes):
NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Live Enterprise Suite | Live Enterprise Suite Removal Guide Live Enterprise Suite is yet another rogue security application. This is a successor to the frustrating Internet Antivirus Pro and Ghost Antivirus rogues. Like many of these security rogues they are pushed through malware and aggressive advertising. This may be a website that when visited a screen pops up that......
- How to Remove Windows Smart Security (Removal Guide) Windows Smart Security is a rogue spyware application that may fool people into installing and purchasing due to the use of the words Windows and Security in the title. It may fool people into thinking that it is related to Microsoft Windows and perhaps even a part of the operating......
- Remove Windows Police Pro I'm seeing a lot of searches for how to remove Windows Police Pro this evening. It looks like it's ALSO the latest flavor of the minute in the rogue security application crowd (take a look at remove Green AV for another rogue). As stated before... my usual path for removing......
- Turn Any File into an EXE with Convert to EXE If you're a geek like me, you may on occasion have run into a situation where you had a file that you needed to convert to exe. I had read a few forum posts and tutorials on how to do this with self-extracting installers, and I even managed to do......
- Security Innovation Introduces Software Security Summer Series WILMINGTON, Mass. – July 12, 2011 -- Security Innovation today introduced its inaugural Software Security Summer Series, where the company will offer six free eLearning courses from its industry-leading curriculum over the next six weeks. The courses are part of TeamProfessorTM, the company’s computer-based training library with an emphasis on......
- Review of Windows Live Writer When you find a tool that makes life easier, there is nothing more exciting. The need for corporations to simplify and systematize their processes has to do with working smart and taking advantage of things that allow workers to reach their goals without having to work quite as hard. One......
- Remove Windows Police Pro
- Windows cleanmgr takes too long at compress old files
- Another workaround for WMF exploit
- Windows Registry Patches
- So who is behind Windows Police Pro Virus / Rogue Security Software?