Yes folks, it’s Windows Police Pro, the gift that keeps on giving apparently. It’s crawled back into Googles top searches tonight. If you want to see how to remove it look at Windows Police Pro Removal, you may be interested in Who is behind Windows Police Pro and probably will need to visit the virus tool removal list. The worst trick this virus plays….
Is associating all exe files in the registry with it’s own desote.exe process. That’s pure clever evil genius. This way you may not be able to run regular exe files from the virus removal toolkit. Here’s a trick YOU can play in cleaning it up.
Rename your download executable (such as malwarebytes antimalware) to a .com file. Yes, why does it need to be .exe when .com will bypass the slimey *!*@*@ of Windows Police Pro.
If you don’t want to hack the registry manually to restore the correct association for exe files, then you look at this:
There is a batch script to restore exe file associations here that may solve the issue. (About the 9th one down.)
(Note to MicroSoft, why are exe file associations allowed to be overridden in the registry?) It’s really amazing to me that I’m still getting so much traffic on this one pest. I’ve read of many people getting rid of it only to have the system hosed (.exe association) can’t launch programs, give up and reinstall.
By the way if you’ve already removed desote.exe and still need to fix the registry. Regedit.exe can be renamed to regedit.com to bypass the file association that Windows Police Pro uses.
From kellyscorner (from whence the above registry fix for exe files comes):
NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Total PC Defender | Total PC Defender Removal Guide Total PC Defender is a rogue antivirus application that installs via malware and trojans. The software then runs each time the system boots and will run a fake scan that is designed to scare the user. This scan will find security problems, numerous viruses and they will further claim that......
- How to Remove Windows System Defender | Removal Guide Windows System Defender is a new rogue antivirus software along the lines of Windows PC Defender (See the Windows PC Defender Removal guide) (I believe it's the same family of malware.) It claims to be a powerful and effective antivirus and antispyware suite, but will overwhelm you with warnings and......
- Remove Windows Police Pro I'm seeing a lot of searches for how to remove Windows Police Pro this evening. It looks like it's ALSO the latest flavor of the minute in the rogue security application crowd (take a look at remove Green AV for another rogue). As stated before... my usual path for removing......
- Security Innovation Introduces Software Security Summer Series WILMINGTON, Mass. – July 12, 2011 -- Security Innovation today introduced its inaugural Software Security Summer Series, where the company will offer six free eLearning courses from its industry-leading curriculum over the next six weeks. The courses are part of TeamProfessorTM, the company’s computer-based training library with an emphasis on......
- MERCURY App Store Mac OS X Bundle – 9 Premium Mac Apps 75% Discount Submit your own press release to firstname.lastname@example.org. PRLog (Press Release) - May 23, 2011 - London, UK – The MERCURY Application Store has announced there are only 7 days left to get their exclusive Mac OS X Bundle containing 9 Premium Mac Apps at a 75% discount: Only $67.99 instead of $277.89 retail price. The MERCURY App Bundle includes......
- Antivirus Software Vs. Internet Security Software Lots of individuals believe that antivirus software and internet security software are same. While they protect your PC and avoid it from being attacked and infected by threats, they have exact roles in terms of defense and safety for your PC. Antivirus software can be installed on your personal computer......
- Remove Windows Police Pro
- Windows cleanmgr takes too long at compress old files
- Another workaround for WMF exploit
- Windows Registry Patches
- So who is behind Windows Police Pro Virus / Rogue Security Software?