Yes folks, it’s Windows Police Pro, the gift that keeps on giving apparently. It’s crawled back into Googles top searches tonight. If you want to see how to remove it look at Windows Police Pro Removal, you may be interested in Who is behind Windows Police Pro and probably will need to visit the virus tool removal list. The worst trick this virus plays….
Is associating all exe files in the registry with it’s own desote.exe process. That’s pure clever evil genius. This way you may not be able to run regular exe files from the virus removal toolkit. Here’s a trick YOU can play in cleaning it up.
Rename your download executable (such as malwarebytes antimalware) to a .com file. Yes, why does it need to be .exe when .com will bypass the slimey *!*@*@ of Windows Police Pro.
If you don’t want to hack the registry manually to restore the correct association for exe files, then you look at this:
There is a batch script to restore exe file associations here that may solve the issue. (About the 9th one down.)
(Note to MicroSoft, why are exe file associations allowed to be overridden in the registry?) It’s really amazing to me that I’m still getting so much traffic on this one pest. I’ve read of many people getting rid of it only to have the system hosed (.exe association) can’t launch programs, give up and reinstall.
By the way if you’ve already removed desote.exe and still need to fix the registry. Regedit.exe can be renamed to regedit.com to bypass the file association that Windows Police Pro uses.
From kellyscorner (from whence the above registry fix for exe files comes):
NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Windows System Defender | Removal Guide Windows System Defender is a new rogue antivirus software along the lines of Windows PC Defender (See the Windows PC Defender Removal guide) (I believe it's the same family of malware.) It claims to be a powerful and effective antivirus and antispyware suite, but will overwhelm you with warnings and......
- Sleuthkit - windows and linux file recovery http://www.sleuthkit.org/ Sluethkit... is a collection of tools for forensic analysis of a system. Usually it's something that would be done when you've had a suspected rootkit on the system and you boot to another operating system with sluethkit installed (maybe livecd/etc.) and want to try to analyze and hunt for......
- How to Remove AntiSpyware Shield Pro | AntiSpyware Shield Pro Removal AntiSpyware Shield Pro is a rogue antivirus that typically is installed via trojans or other malware. Once it's invited itself onto the system it will do all sorts of things. It will popup warnings about the computers security. It will scan the computer for viruses and find many files that......
- Open Office Would you like to have an office suite of software, similar to Microsoft Office and compatible with it's file formats, but without the price tag? OK, so that's a no-brainer; of course you would. Well, Open Office is exactly that. It's open source software that is 100% free to download......
- Turn Any File into an EXE with Convert to EXE If you're a geek like me, you may on occasion have run into a situation where you had a file that you needed to convert to exe. I had read a few forum posts and tutorials on how to do this with self-extracting installers, and I even managed to do......
- MERCURY App Store Mac OS X Bundle – 9 Premium Mac Apps 75% Discount Submit your own press release to firstname.lastname@example.org. PRLog (Press Release) - May 23, 2011 - London, UK – The MERCURY Application Store has announced there are only 7 days left to get their exclusive Mac OS X Bundle containing 9 Premium Mac Apps at a 75% discount: Only $67.99 instead of $277.89 retail price. The MERCURY App Bundle includes......
- Remove Windows Police Pro
- Windows cleanmgr takes too long at compress old files
- Another workaround for WMF exploit
- Windows Registry Patches
- So who is behind Windows Police Pro Virus / Rogue Security Software?