A lot of people seem to be reporting today that AVG is finding files to be infected with trojan horse proxy.ahiy or trojan horse proxy ahiy. From what I’ve seen, although that may be a valid virus designation from AVG, they are also reporting many legitimate files as this trojan proxy ahiy. AVG is acknowledging that they are getting false positives from the current virus database and are saying that the next update of their virus database the issue should be resolved.
Further they offer the following advise if legitimate files have been quarantined due to this:
From the AVG forums:
If you need to restore deleted files from AVG Virus Vault you can do it this way:
- Open AVG user interface.
- Choose “Virus Vault” option from the “History” menu.
- Locate the file that was incorrectly removed and select it (one click).
- Click on the “Restore” button.
Make certain that you are only choosing to restore files that were falsely tagged as viral.
They are also advising AVG users to force an update of AVG and then recheck the files in question to verify that they really are not this trojan horse proxy ahiy.
I know some people will be wanting to dump AVG over this, but just about every antivirus vendor deals with false positives from time to time. (McAfee just last week.) I have heard good recommendations of avira (which also has a free for personal use antivirus.) But, the decision is really up to you. Unfortunately false positives happen and can mess a system up badly if the wrong files are quarantined.
The test is, how frequent do you run into false positives and headaches from your antivirus and is it better than what you might experience with the competition?
For your information…. the files currently detected as trojan horse proxy.ahiy that I’ve seen reported are:
C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle ToolbarComponentGoogle ToolbarUser_FCDD4C5F33EE805C.exe
C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle ToolbarGoogle ToolbarUser.exe
Also, there is this forum thread explaining how to test and report a suspected false positive (good to have for future reference.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove ProtectSoldier | ProtectSoldier Removal Guide ProtectSoldier followed right on the heels of ProtectDefender as another entry of rogue antivirus software in the notorious and prolific wini family of rogues. Like all of them it is installed via trojan horses and pushed via flash player updates and video codec downloads. Once installed on a system it......
- How to Remove Eco Antivirus 2010 | Eco Antivirus 2010 Removal Guide Eco Antivirus 2010 is a slight twist (renaming) of the recent Eco Antivirus rogue that has made the rounds. These rogues pretend to be antivirus, or antispyware software, but in reality are not much more than a scam trying to squeeze money out of unsuspecting computer users. These rogue applications......
- Green AV Remove | Remove Green Antivirus 2009 I'm seeing a lot of searches for how to remove the rogue antivirus green AV. It looks like it's the latest flavor of the minute in the rogue security application crowd. My usual path for removing a rogue antivirus or antispyware application is the same as any other malware, try......
- Choosing A Good Antivirus Software To Protect Your Computer We have many different programs set up on our computer and one of the most significant ones is the antivirus software. This software looks through all the files stored in our system, defines if there are any suspicious or malicious data and flags them for removal. Your antivirus protection scans......
- Tips for Improving Number of Blog Visitors All bloggers are looking for ways that they can improve the popularity of their blog, in order to increase the number of blog visitors. They work hard to make their blogs popular, and spend most of their spend time doing this. The longer that you blog, the more little tips......
- Google Adsense - The Unique Autobusiness Model So what is make money online? Google says it is an ad-serving program where website owners can enroll to enable text and image advertisements on their sites— “a goldmine of opportunity for web publishers to monetise their online presence”. [ad#adstext1] Most of google's Web-based products are free because Google makes......
- Grisoft AVG Antivirus 7.5 on Windows XP False Positive that HURTS
- js/exploit packed.c.gen
- AVG antivirus false positive
- The end of antivirus definition updates?
- Would you like spyware with that? Apple too….