This should not be confused with Norton 360 which is a legitimate antivirus program (although if you need help removing Norton 360 to reinstall it or another antivirus program you may want to visit my antivirus removal tool list.)
What we are talking about this time is a rogue security application known as Antivirus 360. Like many other rogue security applications (wolves in sheeps clothing as I used to call them), Antivirus 360 may have installed itself on your system by way of a security flaw in your browser or some other less than admirable method. Such avenues include aggressive popup ad advertising after a system is infecting with a trojan such as vundo. It seems to be the successor to the Antivirus 2009 rogue application.
Among the things it does after install is popup and run after the system reboots and claims to find infected files which may actually be legitimate windows files. If a user follows through and manually deletes these files they will have a very badly damaged windows install.
The above files are some legitimate windows files that antivirus 360 claims are infected.
It also raises multiple bogus security alerts.
For this software, you may want to download malwarebytes antimalware (take a look at my virus removal toolkit page.)
You may be able to get malwarebytes antimalware installed and updated and then just let it run a scan and clean up any files that it finds. If however the system is too sluggish and obstinate with this pest of antivirus 360 you may need to undertake some manual removal steps.
To manually remove you will first want to kill off any running processes in task manager that resemble Antivirus 360. AV360.exe is the name that this application runs under. Then you can look at removing the following files:
%User%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick LaunchAntivirus 360.lnk
%User%Start MenuAntivirus 360
%User%Start MenuAntivirus 360Antivirus 360.lnk
%User%Start MenuAntivirus 360Help.lnk
%User%Start MenuAntivirus 360Registration.lnk
There are a couple registry keys with a long string of random numbers created at
It’s best to avoid the registry edit and after the deletion of the files run malwarebytes anti-malware to clean things up and make certain everything is clean.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Total Security Antivirus Removal Total Security Antivirus is another rogue security application that poses as legitimate antivirus software to dupe people into installing and then paying for it. It is related to Antivirus 360 and is perhaps the followup software from the same group. This particular pest is possibly installing itself onto systems by......
- How to Remove Antivirus PC 2009 | Antivirus PC 2009 Removal Guide Antivirus PC 2009 is a rogue antivirus application that is installed through malware and other nefarious means. Once installed on your system it will complain about security problems on your system. It will scan and claim that there are viruses on your computer. Like most all of these rogue antivirus......
- How to Remove Personal Security | Personal Security Removal Guide Personal Security is a rogue antivirus application that comes from the same (dreaded) family as the Cyber Security rogue. It usually installs on the users computer without the permission of the computer user. Once installed on the system it will then perform supposed scans finding lots of virus infected files......
- Buying Guide to Dobros - Wooden Resonator Guitars Consult different buying guides for buying a Dobro, and you will find yourself getting different opinions from different people. Dobros are wooden body resonator guitars, which are a unique piece of musical history and an intriguing instrument for you to play. These Dobros do not have to be expensive, as......
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-046 - Critical Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-046 - Critical Vulnerability in Windows Shell Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2286198) Published: August 02, 2010 | Updated: August 03, 2010 Version: 1.1 General Information Executive Summary This security update resolves a publicly disclosed vulnerability in Windows Shell. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if the icon......
- Encryption: Never Leave Home Without It As portable drives have gotten physically smaller and larger in storage capacity, they've become an indespensible gadget for many. If you use yours to store vital and sensitive information, you need to secure that information with encryption. I should not need to tell you about the long list of......
- How to Remove BlockDefense | Block Defense Removal
- Remove Antivirus Pro 2010
- How to Remove Ghost Antivirus
- Remove Proof Defender | Proof Defender Removal
- How to Remove SystemCop | System Cop Removal