I spent the better part of a Friday night sorting this out. I had just launched 4 new wordpress blogs that were secondary installs on each server. (I use a VPS and /home/domain/www/ was the primary wordpress install – the secondary installs existed at /home/domain/www/secondsite ) . The problem was that I switched on the fancy permalinks in the control panel of wordpress and after that nothing worked but the main page. Setting things back to the default I could see posts, but not the feed or anything else that relied on mod_rewrite.
Everything else gave the server generated 404 error page. I started by comparing .htaccess files they seemed fine. Then I disabled all the plugins and switched back to the default theme. That didn’t solve things. I disabled and re-enabled the pretty permalinks THAT didn’t work. I started nosing around the VPS’s /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file and made sure mod_rewrite was there (of course it was because the pretty permalinks work on the /home/domain/www install of wordpress…)
So, the fix is to have a directory entry for that folder with AllowOverride ALL to allow the .htaccess to override the default settings. (Or change the default folder settings for apache to allow overrides.) It has to be done in .htaccess
An example of setting the default to allow overrides (allow .htaccess “stuff”) is….
You can use that template to specifically allow that for your chosen directory and hopefully not have the hair pulling evening that I did.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Virtual Server on Apache to listen on an alternate port In the last few days, I had to set up something a bit unusual with apache. Basically the goal was to have apache listen for connections on two different ports (the standard port 80 and an alternate port 85). The problem was that I wanted different content at each port.......
- How To Remove Alpha Antivirus (Removal Guide) There is a new rogue among us. It appears that Alpha Antivirus has replaced Personal Antivirus as one of the latest rogue security programs. This particular rogue installs through online "scans" (popups.) The reason I say "scans" is they're essentially animations of a scan (every one that visits the site......
- Qemu Windows XP install Well, I alluded yesterday to a struggle with installing Windows XP under Qemu. Here are some details on the long and (still winding) road. At this point I have a working XP install running under Qemu but, I've run out of disk space (2G) and need more space before I......
- 9 Great Tools to Make Corporate Blogging Easier Here are nine ways to make corporate blogging even easier for you. Writing your blog should be enjoyable and fun, rather than just a task you have no interest in doing. These some really great tools should help make blogging more fun and enjoyable for you rather than a chore......
- Switching from wordpress.com to wordpress.org dilemma One of my really early posts was differentiating between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. Although wordpress.org sites have the flexibility to do just about anything a blogger wants at a low cost of a domain and hosting, wordpress.com does has its place in the world. That said, wordpress.org is really where nearly......
- How To Prove To Yourself (And Your Family) That You Can Make Money Online (Part 3) photo credit: Wolfgang Staudt By now we have covered the basics of what you're going to be doing and how you're going to earn some money online (possibly your first few dollars ever). In this section we're going to talk about how to set up your minisites - assuming......
- bbpress mod_rewrite Woes
- Virtual Server on Apache to listen on an alternate port
- Using .htaccess to ALLOW directory browsing
- Strange Outage
- Having multiple domains direct to one web site