One of the things I was looking into this morning was the possiblity of converting a pdf into a tiff image. Many character recognition programs (and some music recognition software) uses tiff as one of the formats that it can recognize from. I have a number of things in PDF format that I wanted to test out by converting to tif. There MUST be a way….. yes there is (several I suppose).. In linux though the answer is ghostscript.
Here’s the simplest example that I’ve come up with….
gs -sDEVICE=tiffg4 -sOutputFile=file.tif file.pdf
*(you might run gs -h to find what Device’s are supported by your install of ghostscript.) In this case it created a tif image from the file.pdf source. Very simple (and -dBATCH could be added for use in a script.))
Of course, that was the simplest example directly calling ghostscript. Try this out with convert (which uses ghostscript.)
convert file.pdf file.tif
Related PostsRelated Posts
- OpenDocument format (ODF) versus Microsoft's opening of MS XML There are a couple articles out today (last few days) on the growing conflict between the ODF (Open Document Format) Microsoft's XML. For starters, the ODF came about as a response/alternative to closed formats such as Microsoft's. The concept is that it is in the public interest for information to......
- Linux - Convert PDF to TIF Recently I had a request for help with some free pdf's I've published elsewhere. I wasn't really keen to spend a lot of time for free supporting free pdfs and really just wanted to give an alternative file format. (I suspected the pdf format may not have been one that......
- Neat grep intro Linuxgangster.org (??) has a good article up on the powerful grep command. GREP is one of the most useful command line tools in linux (really, there are so many it's hard to choose, but this is one I use more frequently than most others...) grep can stand on it's own......
- Open Office Would you like to have an office suite of software, similar to Microsoft Office and compatible with it's file formats, but without the price tag? OK, so that's a no-brainer; of course you would. Well, Open Office is exactly that. It's open source software that is 100% free to download......
- FlashGet My Download I've been using FlashGet for so many years I don't even remember since when or what version it was when I tried it. At that time the software was still not very popular and most people that I knew used other download helper software. I knew about FlashGet from Download.com......
- Convert Prosper XML to CSV Many, Many people have asked me if there was an easy way to get the Prosper XML files as CSV (comma separated values).Â In response, I have build a utility that does just that.Â I contributed the utility to the Prosper API Open Source Project on SourceForge. With CSV files......
- Merging PDF documents in linux
- Converting rm to mp3
- Blackberry Security Hole
- Linux – Convert PDF to TIF
- Quick way to make a text only banner image