One of the things I was looking into this morning was the possiblity of converting a pdf into a tiff image. Many character recognition programs (and some music recognition software) uses tiff as one of the formats that it can recognize from. I have a number of things in PDF format that I wanted to test out by converting to tif. There MUST be a way….. yes there is (several I suppose).. In linux though the answer is ghostscript.
Here’s the simplest example that I’ve come up with….
gs -sDEVICE=tiffg4 -sOutputFile=file.tif file.pdf
*(you might run gs -h to find what Device’s are supported by your install of ghostscript.) In this case it created a tif image from the file.pdf source. Very simple (and -dBATCH could be added for use in a script.))
Of course, that was the simplest example directly calling ghostscript. Try this out with convert (which uses ghostscript.)
convert file.pdf file.tif
Related PostsRelated Posts
- OpenDocument format (ODF) versus Microsoft's opening of MS XML There are a couple articles out today (last few days) on the growing conflict between the ODF (Open Document Format) Microsoft's XML. For starters, the ODF came about as a response/alternative to closed formats such as Microsoft's. The concept is that it is in the public interest for information to......
- Remote Tech Support with x11vnc and wrapper script So, the idea is that I wanted something "like" the Ultranvnc Single Click download, only for linux. The main idea being is that if someone is looking for a bit of desktop tech support on linux, we don't need to be giving instructions for 5 different package managers, or source......
- Neat grep intro Linuxgangster.org (??) has a good article up on the powerful grep command. GREP is one of the most useful command line tools in linux (really, there are so many it's hard to choose, but this is one I use more frequently than most others...) grep can stand on it's own......
- Turn Any File into an EXE with Convert to EXE If you're a geek like me, you may on occasion have run into a situation where you had a file that you needed to convert to exe. I had read a few forum posts and tutorials on how to do this with self-extracting installers, and I even managed to do......
- Best Free Video Converter Ever I have been using Any Video Converter for several weeks and I am very satisfied with the conversion results. Previously I use other free software and when I compared the videos that was converted with the old software and the one converted using AVC the result were so obvious. The......
- Roth Conversion Strategy On my feature web site, I wrote an article on a couple different Strategies for Roth Conversion. I recently saw a link to an article from the Journal of Retirement Planning titled, "To Convert or Not to Convert, That is the Question." (note - this is a link directly to......
- Merging PDF documents in linux
- Converting rm to mp3
- Blackberry Security Hole
- Linux – Convert PDF to TIF
- Quick way to make a text only banner image