One of the things I was looking into this morning was the possiblity of converting a pdf into a tiff image. Many character recognition programs (and some music recognition software) uses tiff as one of the formats that it can recognize from. I have a number of things in PDF format that I wanted to test out by converting to tif. There MUST be a way….. yes there is (several I suppose).. In linux though the answer is ghostscript.
Here’s the simplest example that I’ve come up with….
gs -sDEVICE=tiffg4 -sOutputFile=file.tif file.pdf
*(you might run gs -h to find what Device’s are supported by your install of ghostscript.) In this case it created a tif image from the file.pdf source. Very simple (and -dBATCH could be added for use in a script.))
Of course, that was the simplest example directly calling ghostscript. Try this out with convert (which uses ghostscript.)
convert file.pdf file.tif
Related PostsRelated Posts
- OpenDocument format (ODF) versus Microsoft's opening of MS XML There are a couple articles out today (last few days) on the growing conflict between the ODF (Open Document Format) Microsoft's XML. For starters, the ODF came about as a response/alternative to closed formats such as Microsoft's. The concept is that it is in the public interest for information to......
- Sleuthkit - windows and linux file recovery http://www.sleuthkit.org/ Sluethkit... is a collection of tools for forensic analysis of a system. Usually it's something that would be done when you've had a suspected rootkit on the system and you boot to another operating system with sluethkit installed (maybe livecd/etc.) and want to try to analyze and hunt for......
- Converting MPG video to dv files I don't know much about the dv format, except that it is a standard format that many camcorders use. For this reason, many video editors (such as kino for linux) prefer to see files coming in dv format. The problem I ran into is that the new handycam dvd puts......
- Lots of Tool Tips Another Nutty Trick Let us say that you need to remove a nut with the use of an open end wrench but the wrench is too large for the nut. When you can do is insert a coin or a washer in between the nut and the wrench. The coin......
- These Wordpress Plugins May help Wordpress Plugins You May Need Image by teddy-rised via Flickr I have been asked many different times from new bloggers what plugins they should use. I think a big part of it comes down to personal taste.Â While there are some essentials many of them are just add-on plugins......
- Roth Conversion Strategy On my feature web site, I wrote an article on a couple different Strategies for Roth Conversion. I recently saw a link to an article from the Journal of Retirement Planning titled, "To Convert or Not to Convert, That is the Question." (note - this is a link directly to......
- Merging PDF documents in linux
- Converting rm to mp3
- Blackberry Security Hole
- Linux – Convert PDF to TIF
- Quick way to make a text only banner image