Here’s a quick fix for Windows 2000 and XP when using cleanmgr to clean out temporary files. I’ve run across many systems that it just freezes (or takes way too long) calculating space saved by compressing old files, or hangs just saying “compress old files”. Well, here’s one way to skip that step.
First open the registry editor…. (Disclaimer: the registry is a large and scary place, one of those areas where an incorrect entry or deletion could be VERY bad. Back it up.)
To start regedit, click start, run and type “regedit” without quotes and click ok.
Now, start navigating through the nest of registry entries. We’re heading for
At this point you might select Compress Old Files and Export a registry file of that key, then you should be able to delete Compress old files and next time you run cleanmgr it won’t bother with the long process of calculating how much space will be saved by compressing old files.
There is another similar angle to this fix, instead of deleting the “Compress Old Files” key, navigate to that Key, and create a New string, call it Default_(old) or something like that Default_(bkp), then open the Default key, CUT the long string of numbers and letters there, paste it into the new Default_(old) and you should have a similar effect as removing the Compress Old Files entry. (And an easy way back as well.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- OpenDocument format (ODF) versus Microsoft's opening of MS XML There are a couple articles out today (last few days) on the growing conflict between the ODF (Open Document Format) Microsoft's XML. For starters, the ODF came about as a response/alternative to closed formats such as Microsoft's. The concept is that it is in the public interest for information to......
- Esbot.a Symantec's site is also reporting another virus (technically a worm) targetting the MS05-039 vulnerability. This one is called w32.esbot.a and is also rated at level 3 on their 5 level threat assessment scale. This one creates a mutex called mousebm so that it can only run once. It creates a......
- How to Remove Antivirus System Pro | Antivirus System Pro Removal Guide Last week I had the opportunity to remove Antivirus System Pro from not one, but two machines. Given that I was seeing it a bit more frequently I thought it might be a new rogue antivirus application, but I quickly found out that it's been out at least since June......
- Save Time, Money and Space in Over 80 Ways If you're looking for handy gadgets, tools and various items that can save you time, money or space (or all three!) this list of more than 80 top products is just what you need. Everyone's got saving money on their minds these days- whether your at the grocery store, or......
- Get the Best Registry Cleaner to Keep your Pc Registry Error Free The best registry cleaner software available for download can fix your registry errors, make your PC faster and reduce the number of system errors you get for the errors in the registry. Let us take a deeper look at how really a Windows registry cleaner can help you get better......
- How to Fix the Windows Blue Screen of Death Hopefully after reading this article I will have some light on this for you. I will give three steps you can do to help diagnose and repair the windows blue screen error. All these are tasks you can complete on their own before taking your computer to a repair shop.......
- Windows Police Pro
- C:\windows\system32\kernels64.exe not found
- Nasty regedit bug
- Update on Long registry entries bug
- Big block of blank space in Add/Remove Programs