Here are some details on the zotob worm (s) culled from several sources….
It copies itself to the Windows system folder as BOTZOR.EXE, it modifies the hosts file to frustrate attempts to access antivirus sites. The .b variant copies itself as csm.exe in the Windows System folder. Both variants create a Mutex so that only one copy can run at a time.
According to Sarc the .b variant adds
“csm Win Updates” = “csm.exe”
to the registry at two locations
so that it runs at Windows boot. It also modifies
“Start” = “4″
to the registry subkey:
disabling shared access.
It opens an ftp server on port 33333 (TCP), tries to connect to an IRC server to allow remote control of the PC, attempts to spread within the local subnet.
Also it drops 2pac.txt and haha.exe in the system folder.
The host file modifications are as follows:
11. …. Made By …. Greetz to good friend [REMOVED] in the next 24hours!!!
This covers a wide net of sites (Amazon Paypal Ebay) beyond the usual security/antivirus sites.
The only difference I can see between .a and .b is the name of the executable (botzor.exe and csm.exe)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove Anti-Virus Elite | Anti-Virus Elite Removal Guide Anti-Virus Elite is a rogue antivirus application. These rogue antivirus applications pose as a legitimate security application, but in reality is a scam to try to trick you out of money. They will find and claim that there are multiple security problems with your computer. They will claim that you......
- Different attitudes towards upgrading and developing software So many times, even in the last few days, I have talked about keeping software up-to-date. For many people that means upgrading to the latest version of windows as soon as it comes out, or Office, or well... fill in the blank. It's a vicious cycle when you think about......
- Disinfecting a PC... part 1 This is the first in a several part series documenting the cleaning of an infected PC. The only real noteworthy item is that it was a dial-up only connection and was rather infested for that. (On par with some of the broadband connected pc's I've seen. It's also an interesting......
- Poker Time Get a 100% match bonus up to $200 If you're a poker fan, then there's no better place to wager your stake than at PokerTime. Whether you are a beginner or pro, you'll thoroughly enjoy the wide selection of games that this action-packed poker room has to offer. At......
- The Watch Co. The Watch Co. began in 1993 with one ambitious college student and a vision to offer a wide selection of watches along with incredible service and expertise. The Watch Co. is dedicated to customers who share our appreciation for a high-quality, well-designed timepiece. And because we're an authorized dealer......
- Club Med BOOK ONLINE Booking on our website is available 24 hours a day and offers a quick and easy way to book your holiday. Go directly to your Club Med Resort by using the ‘Direct access to resort page’ option at the top right of the homepage, or simply use......
- Anti phishing information (phighting phishing ?)
- Remove Personal Antivirus
- Zotob worm bites big media outlets
- New Beagle/Bagle variant?