Here are some details on the zotob worm (s) culled from several sources….
It copies itself to the Windows system folder as BOTZOR.EXE, it modifies the hosts file to frustrate attempts to access antivirus sites. The .b variant copies itself as csm.exe in the Windows System folder. Both variants create a Mutex so that only one copy can run at a time.
According to Sarc the .b variant adds
“csm Win Updates” = “csm.exe”
to the registry at two locations
so that it runs at Windows boot. It also modifies
“Start” = “4″
to the registry subkey:
disabling shared access.
It opens an ftp server on port 33333 (TCP), tries to connect to an IRC server to allow remote control of the PC, attempts to spread within the local subnet.
Also it drops 2pac.txt and haha.exe in the system folder.
The host file modifications are as follows:
11. …. Made By …. Greetz to good friend [REMOVED] in the next 24hours!!!
This covers a wide net of sites (Amazon Paypal Ebay) beyond the usual security/antivirus sites.
The only difference I can see between .a and .b is the name of the executable (botzor.exe and csm.exe)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Zero-day ( 0-day) Microsoft Word exploit There was some news on this last night at Incidents.org, today F-secure has some details as well on the trojan that's dropped in this circulating, exploit. It seems as though the initial attack was very targetted against a specific organization. Antivirus packages did not recognize the trojan that the exploit......
- Another trackback spam storm overnight.... All of the the swarms of trackback spam seemed to last an hour give or take a few minutes, so it does look kind of like "rent-a-bot" activity, lots of different IP addresses, trackback spam sites seem to have a common theme - the last batch was insurance type sites..........
- Disinfecting a PC... part 1 This is the first in a several part series documenting the cleaning of an infected PC. The only real noteworthy item is that it was a dial-up only connection and was rather infested for that. (On par with some of the broadband connected pc's I've seen. It's also an interesting......
- How to Relocate your Wordpress Blog to a New Domain Name Making the decision to move my blog from http://www.courseladder.com to http://www.golfballdriver.com was a big one, and a good one, and it taught me a lot about learning how to relocate your Wordpress blog to a new domain name under the same hosting provider. Course Ladder suited me for a while,......
- Make Blogging Work for Your Business pt 2 Are you ready to make blogging work for your business? If you already know the benefits associated with corporate blogging, then the next step is to put these concepts to work by creating your own corporate blog and sharing your company with the world. This is part 2 in a......
- Display your Prosper Listing on Your MySpace Page Now you can display your Listing on your MySpace Page. Or your blog, or website... The possibilities are endless. Here is a random listing on Prosper. $25 Bonus For New Lenders How to Use Prosper Listing Widget for MySpace, Blog, Website, or Other Here is a link to my MySpace......
- Anti phishing information (phighting phishing ?)
- Remove Personal Antivirus
- Zotob worm bites big media outlets
- New Beagle/Bagle variant?