For several years now I’ve used a neat tool at Gibson Research to test a clients firewall quick and easy from the web browser. They have a tool called Shields Up that does a limited port scan to determine of network ports are open, closed or “stealth”.
One of the things I usually have to explain is that even though you only have one connection to the outside world (the internet), on that connection a computer can listen for incoming requests on as many as 65,535 different “ports”, think of them as different “tv channels.” To a computer on the outside an open port means that the request was accepted by the listening computer. A closed port means the listening computer answered back that it’s not letting anyone in (kind of like saying “nobody’s here right now”.) The stealth port means that the computer doing the probe sent a request but there was no response. This is usually the ideal because 1) it takes longer for the “attacker” to get an idea of who if anyone is at a given IP address and 2) it makes it look as though there’s no machine listening at that port.
The most ambitious of his scans does the first 1056 ports (remember there are over 65,000 total). You can do custom probes specifying a list of specific ports as well.
Gibson Research is home to lot’s of other neat utilities. Spinrite is the brainchild of the sites owner Steve Gibson. One of the things that has impressed me about him is his dedication to efficient programming (assembly language guru….) This gives utilities which are small, fast and not cluttered with the cruft you usually get these days from “utilities”. He also has dedicated a lot of time to computer security. It’s a site worth reading.
I should also mention another utility before I let this one go….
Leaktest is a utility he has to test personal (software) firewall software to see if it is fooled by a program claiming to be another application. You see one of the benefits of a personal firewall is that it can prevent data from leaving your computer without your knowledge (backdoor keylogger software for instance.) Unfortunately some firewalls can be tricked say if you’ve allowed internet explorer to connect and send data out and another program decides to tell the system “I’m internet explorer”, the firewall can be fooled. Leaktest basically tests your personal firewalls abilities….
All in all www.grc.com is a VERY useful site. It’s run and maintained by a VERY sharp fellow, Steve Gibson and I think you’re just about guaranteed to LEARN something reading it. For that reason I’m adding it to the links area as well.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- The basics Well to start out, this might should be crosslinked in the computer security section, but I'm putting it in commentary primarily to catch those who might not typically look at computer security. First, why should you care about keeping your computer secure? I've heard people ask something like this. Usually......
- IPtables magic, or... Blocking Aggressive Outbound Traffic with IPtables Blocking Aggressive Outbound Traffic with IPtables. For starters, I've tested this on a test system that started out with NO iptables rules, and then moved on to an IPCop install (the vmware download from vmwarez.com...) I've detailed previously one dilemma that I had with regard to my own cable connection......
- How to Remove Antivirus System Pro | Antivirus System Pro Removal Guide Last week I had the opportunity to remove Antivirus System Pro from not one, but two machines. Given that I was seeing it a bit more frequently I thought it might be a new rogue antivirus application, but I quickly found out that it's been out at least since June......
- Virgin Mobile Mess... Google Voice Saves Me $10 a Month For the last three 3 months I've been paying double for cell phone service. That was a tough sentence to type, but now that I've got it out there, it's a lot easier. Three months ago, I rushed to take advantage of Virgin Mobile's $25 Unlimited Data, Text, and 300......
- Top Internet TV Software Creates Super Computer Internet Television System Within Five Minutes For Life! Whatever the factors are to cutting Cable tv or Satellite internet TV, there are selections out there that can be applied to deliver the following finest matter to paid TV. World-wide-web TV software program is one choice to look at and probably the missing link to assisting newbies get pleasure......
- Antivirus Software Vs. Internet Security Software Lots of individuals believe that antivirus software and internet security software are same. While they protect your PC and avoid it from being attacked and infected by threats, they have exact roles in terms of defense and safety for your PC. Antivirus software can be installed on your personal computer......
- Network Security guide for the home or small business network – Part 1 – A Hardware firewall
- Network Security guide for the home or small business network – Part 2 – A Software Firewall
- Firewall Software
- Common Networking Ports
- Windows RDP Denial of service vulnerability