S.M.A.R.T. is a self monitoring and reporting tool built into every modern hard drive. Did you know that you can use an ubuntu linux boot cd to check that smart status and run SMART tests on your drive? This is the same boot cd that you can use to test out or install the ubuntu linux environment, but you can do the SMART testing without installing linux on your hard drive.
To start out you need an ubuntu boot cd, then you’ll need to put the cd in the drive and reboot your machine. You may need to adjust boot options in bios (or if there is a message that says for other boot device press f12 you may need to press f12 to make the system boot from cd.) When the system boots open up a terminal window (Applications/Accessories/Terminal) Type in the following
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install smartmontools
(Smartmontools is the package for smart monitoring and reporting under linux.)
After that’s successfully done you should be able to use the same terminal window to type…
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda (or /dev/hda) and get a detailed report of all SMART info on your first hard drive.
If you want to do a test you can do the following
sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda
sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sda
the short test is usually a two minute test, the long test can take an hour or so.
After the test runs you can return to the command above:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
to see the status of all the parameters that are tracked on your hard drive as well as the testing log.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Live filesystem "capture" into a virtual disk image ah... the joys of *nix utilities.... I've just successfully tested a "capture" of a live, running system into a virtual disk image. No, I don't mean that I booted up with an imaging utility. I took a live, booted and logged in system and imaged the primary hard drive that......
- Booting from CD when a systems BIOS won't let you Along the way on my permissions nightmare last night, I made matters worse by changing permissions on a fairly important file. In order to fix that I was going to need to reboot from a boot disk. The only problem was boot floppys typically don't come with reiserfs support (only......
- Boot up freeze/sluggishness with ubuntu 6.06.1 install cd (on 64bit AMD hardware) I thought I had written about this once before, but when I searched the site to find the solution I had come across before, I couldn't find my post.... so, sorry if this is a duplication, but I've run into this on some AMD 64-bit based system boards. The most......
- Are You Prepared For Your Theory Driving Test You are going to want to make sure you pass your driving theory test if you have one coming up soon. It is very disappointing to fail your driving test and on top of this is the fact that you will have wasted money and will have to wait before......
- Basic Tools – A Home Repair Guide Anyone who has had to hire someone to perform a simple home repair for them knows that it’s just not worth it. Repair services charge a lot to fix even the most basic problems, and if you have a major issue then it’s that much worse. Many people have been......
- Review of Windows Live Writer When you find a tool that makes life easier, there is nothing more exciting. The need for corporations to simplify and systematize their processes has to do with working smart and taking advantage of things that allow workers to reach their goals without having to work quite as hard. One......
- Booting from CD when a systems BIOS won’t let you
- Smartmontools on Windows – emailing warnings
- Analyzing SMART hard drive reports
- Check your hard drive’s temperature in Linux
- Remastering Ubuntu’s live disk