If you have a linux machine and haven’t ever made use of sed (stream editor) you’re missing out on a great automation utility. I’ve saved myself probably 20 hours of manual editing with about an hour of work TWICE today. Here’s how…. over on the North Carolina Genealogy site I was opening forums for each county in the state of North Carolina (100 counties.) Now, I could have gone through and typed out a description, slug (address) and name for each one, but that looked too tedious. So…
I copied and pasted the list of counties to a text file (there was a carriage return after each) so I had one per line. Then I made a second file which I used tr to convert from upper case to lower case (since I wanted lower case “slugs”) I then went through and used sed to convert a space to an underscore. Now, I could have done this by hand because the only county with a space in the name is New Hanover, but…. it was easy as the following…
cat county_lowercase.txt | sed 's/ /_/' > county_lowercase_nospace.txt
So, the next step was crafting the slugs…
cat county_lowercase_nospace.txt | sed 's/$/-county-nc-genealogy-queries/' > slugs.txt
I checked the forum list table for my forum software through phpmyadmin and it was a pretty simple structure, about 8 fields…. a unique id which I set to NULL in my database, forum name, description, slug, forum order, number of posts, number of topics…. I set the last two to 0 throughout (100 lines), the forum order I started a bit past the current forum order numbers that were listed in the current database and I copied and pasted from the textfile the slugs.
So, next I crafted the forum titles….
cat county_list.txt | sed 's/$/ County, NC Genealogy Query Forum/' > forum_titles.txt
And of course, those get copied and pasted into the correct column. By the way, the $ above tells sed to put the text at the end of each line so that the county name comes first.
Then the descriptions, again I cut and paste and things look good. From the spreadsheet now I export to csv and import via phpmyadmin and check, lo and behold I now have 100 forums correctly added.
The other big thing though was a script I use to retrieve rss feeds. Each page was to have one uniquely named that would be included via a php include call in the page.
So… again sed to the rescue.
for name in `cat county_lower_nospace.txt`;
cat template_gen.php | sed "s/template_search/$name+county%22+nc/" > "$name"_gen.php
VERY easy and it worked like a charm…. 100 php scripts created, one for each county in …. 5 seconds? Nice.
Finally to top things off, I used sed to make the links to insert in to the pages… again all 100. So, it turned into a simple copy paste for each one.
Thanks sed.. I don’t know how else I could have done this that didn’t involve hours of menial/tedious editing.
For more information on some of the neat textfile tricks you can do with sed… take a look at this sed guide.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Google as a tool for crackers Google is a search tool which I use literally every day. Sometimes it's multiple times per day. Sometimes I can't imagine how I would function without being able to do a quick google search. There are some features that I don't often use and in some ways have promised myself......
- OpenOffice.org 2 Of course, I alluded to it in my Mandriva 2006 article, OpenOffice.Org 2.0 has officially escaped (been released). Bringing a nice shiny new gui for a database (BASE) a bit quicker load times, lot's of other improvements. At this point I've had ~15 minutes on OO.org 2.0 most of that......
- Clamav 0.88.1 for Mandrake 10.0 Since, I've still got a few older Mandrake 10 installs that I'm maintaining as mailservers, there aren't supported security fixes for various things anymore... Friday there was news of a new clamantivirus to fix some security flaws with 0.88, new version is 0.88.1 I've taken the cooker srpm and recompiled......
- San Mateo County Hike of Redwood Trail Summary: This is a 0.6 mile long out-and-back hike that follows an all-access trail through huckleberry and redwoods with very minimal change in elevation. Location: This trail is located in the Midpeninsula Regional district in San Mateo County in the Open Space Preserve at Purisima Creek. Distance: The total......
- Top 100 Do-Follow Forums Here's a list of Top 100 Do-Follow Forums. These can help you in link building. 1. http://forums.digitalpoint.com 2. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums 3. http://www.webmasterforums.com 4. http://www.allcoolforum.com 5. http://www.warriorforum.com 6. http://forums.webicy.com 7. http://thehyipforum.com 8. http://www.webmasterforumsonline.com 9. http://www.webmasters.am/forum 10. http://www.webmasterforums.net 11. http://www.devhunters.com 12. http://www.webmaster-forum.net 13. http://www.geekvillage.com/forums 14. http://www.zymic.com/forum 15. http://www.webmastershelp.com 16. http://www.webmasterdesk.org 17. http://www.webmasterground.com 18.......
- Set up Nivo Slider in Wordpress as a text widget Hey everyone :rainbow: ... Â I was looking around for plugins that would make my header look better. Â My favorite so far is the Nivo Slider. Â I was able to run acrossÂ a tutorial from Dodie on how insert Nivo Slider within the wordpress loop, so it can work for my theme.......
- bbpress mod_rewrite Woes
- Quick way to make a text only banner image
- Using the command line in linux – part 4
- Converting pdf to tif (tiff) images
- The D-Link DWL-800AP+ as a wireless repeater to extend wireless range – Part 6