Some time back, I was teetering on the brink…. I’ve used Evolution as my linux mail client for ages (since I switched), because it had the calender integrated etc… However, Kontact has REALLY looked nice for some time, but I didn’t have time to mess with changing. Then one day, I was trying to send a message with Evolution and got a pop up box saying…….. “error while performing operation”, and “MAIL FROM command failed: Unknown” huh???
Since I have an inhouse mailserver that things relay through, my first thought was that something had gone astray there….. I tested with telnet. Everything looked ok. Then I got online and looked. (Apparently this is a problem that’s been seen before, but no clear answers…) hmmm… I tested another mailer (Kontact) – it worked. So around Christmas I switched /migrated everything rather than solve the problem. I wasn’t happy with that, but at the time I really didn’t want to fool with problem solving. I left it for another day.
My wife’s profile on my desktop has used Evolution for mail since then. Surprisingly it has worked all along (I remember thinking at the time that I might have to blow away my .evolution directory to solve it because of this.) Until night before last. She attempted to send an email and got the same message. So, I used Kontact to send the message and resolved to take a closer look. Let me try to be clear. Evolution is set to send mail through SMTP. Sendmail IS installed on the system, but evolution doesn’t make use of it.
In my searching today, I found a reference to removing unnecessary comments/tabs from the /etc/hosts file. I thought this might be worth a try, so I took a look at my hosts file….
127.0.0.1 mybox.mynetwork.net mybox localhost
22.214.171.124 www.grove-ent.com grove-ent.com
192.168.0.20 server server.mynetwork.net
all of the 5. addresses are hamachi addresses for various machines, the grove-ent.com address it seems as though I was once having page not found errors and had done a dns lookup while they were having some weirdness. 192.168.0.200 is the lan address of the desktop machine “mybox”. Now, what’s interesting to me is that the evolution configuration was using the ip address 192.168.0.20 for the server to connect to instead of server or server.mynetwork.net so, in theory it shouldn’t have to reference hosts?
However, here’s what I changed (all the rest stayed the same)….
192.168.0.200 mybox mybox.mynetwork.net
I don’t know if having a different alias for the loopback address was the real headache, or the fact that I had an address in the list that didn’t have a host name associated with it.
After the change and save, I sent my test message once more and the error message didn’t re-appear, everything sent correctly. Hopefully if you’ve run into a similar problem, this will help. Frankly, my view of it is that it is an evolution bug in the handling of the hosts file (although my hosts file was probably not standard.) I say this because other mail applications have not had the same problem with the previous configuration.
It would be nice too if “error while performing operation”, and “MAIL FROM command failed: Unknown” were a bit more descriptive – hostname not found, host lookup failure or some such would be a big improvement.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Evolution error "summary and folder mismatch even after a sync" In my wife's profile on the desktop she said she was getting an error message sending and receiving messages so.... when doing a send/receive of mail I saw evolution giving an error message of "summary and folder mismatch even after a sync". It seemed to download mail ok, it was......
- Modern Computer Viruses are almost NEVER from whom they claim to be from This is one that I've probably talked about before, but it's worth rehashing because of a call I had this afternoon. A customer had been receiving phone calls and email messages from folks asking that he stop sending them a virus. Essentially all of the viruses were claiming to be......
- Moving from Evolution to Konqueror After several weeks of good behaviour from Evolution 2.4 since the Mandriva 2006 upgrade, I started getting a wierd error on sending messages *(Mail From response Error Unknown). Nothing within my settings for Evolution had changed since the night before when things worked... I tested with Kontact and was able......
- How to Migrate a WP Installation from One Server to Another via Cpanel How to Migrate a WP Installation from One Server to Another via Cpanel. This post would serve as an announcement as well as a "How To". I recently moved from one hosting service to another to consolidate a part of my domains in 1 of my hosting servers and to......
- Stock Assault 2.0 AI Software - 60% Commission, 17% Conversion Rate Once your copy of Stock Assault 2.0 picks a stock, you can also research the stock using the built-in features such as charting if you wish.Real day traders and professional traders do just that, hence the name "day" traders.But we'll guarantee that you'll barely make any money after a year......
- My Debt Snow Ball I accomplished one of my very minor goals recently - I went through and created a comprehensive debt review and plan to pay it off. The Wife and I have way, way, way too much consumer debt. I say consumer debt because I do not feel the need, right......
- Evolution error “summary and folder mismatch even after a sync”
- Moving from Evolution to Konqueror
- Migrating Contacts from Evolution to Kontact
- Kontact/ korganizer “unable to save event”
- How do I email lots of people without all their addresses showing up?