Incidents.org is reporting on an advisory for users of lynx. For those of you that don’t know lynx, it is a text based web browser used in text only terminal environments. I’ve used lynx from time to time to see what websites look like to a text only reader to help design towards better accessibility. Anyway, the three of you using it to browse the web with need to upgrade… (please, it’s a joke…)
The vulnerability is described at idefense.com. It appears that a new development version of lynx has been released which fixes the problem. (Development version 2.8.6dev.15)
The problem is found in 2.8.5 and earlier versions of lynx. A workaround is suggested as follows.
Disable “lynxcgi” links by specifying the following directive in
Joke above aside, lynx can be a useful, quick browser. I’ve used it many times in a script that evaluates content on a web page. (Say, testing to see if a page has the expected text on it.)
(Maybe next time I’ll get into the vi/emacs holy wars….)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How do I find my IP address This is one that can be handy from time to time, trying to find your ip address. If you're on a lan there aren't too many ways to find your public ip within the operating systems software. However, under Windows if you go to, Start, Run and then type cmd......
- Web browser statistics In the last week or two, I've been playing around with a slightly different stat package for the individual sites, North Carolina Genealogy, South Carolina Genealogy and this site. Since it's a new stat package, I've spent a good amount of time checking the stats to see just what browsers......
- Beware: Wolves in sheeps clothing found on different sites (security scams) This is another "wolf in sheeps clothing" alert. The Sunbelt blog has information and tips on a number of other sites that are posing as either the Windows security center page, or a page not found error. The windows security center spoof once again claims the following "Attention! Your system......
- Attracting Free Blog Traffic There are plenty of ways that you can attract free blog traffic if you know what to do. First and foremost, you should be hosting your own blog to earn free blog traffic, rather than having your blog hosted by WordPress, Blogger or another similar platform. There are stories floating......
- Why Choose The Best Web Browser For Online Security Web browser is the prime software to connect yourself to the world wide web. Now most of the companies are increasingly putting more and more services on their website and ask their customer to take active part online. Secured browser means keeping your computer free from the virus, spyware and......
- Review: GOOGLE's Android 2.3, Look At The Past Present And Future Of This Phenomenon. ANDROID 2.3, aka Gingerbread : RedLine Computing reviews To fully understand what this new phenomenon is, we have to start at the beginning. Let’s have a look at the history behind Android 2.3. Android was initially developed by Android Inc., as a mobile operating system. It is based upon a......
- How to create a redirect page, or creating a redirect page has been updated
- Firefox 1.5 vulnerability
- Microsoft Issues advisory on Powerpoint flaw
- More on Explorer vulnerability
- Share This Plugin not Working in Some Themes