Incidents.org is reporting on an advisory for users of lynx. For those of you that don’t know lynx, it is a text based web browser used in text only terminal environments. I’ve used lynx from time to time to see what websites look like to a text only reader to help design towards better accessibility. Anyway, the three of you using it to browse the web with need to upgrade… (please, it’s a joke…)
The vulnerability is described at idefense.com. It appears that a new development version of lynx has been released which fixes the problem. (Development version 2.8.6dev.15)
The problem is found in 2.8.5 and earlier versions of lynx. A workaround is suggested as follows.
Disable “lynxcgi” links by specifying the following directive in
Joke above aside, lynx can be a useful, quick browser. I’ve used it many times in a script that evaluates content on a web page. (Say, testing to see if a page has the expected text on it.)
(Maybe next time I’ll get into the vi/emacs holy wars….)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Web browser statistics In the last week or two, I've been playing around with a slightly different stat package for the individual sites, North Carolina Genealogy, South Carolina Genealogy and this site. Since it's a new stat package, I've spent a good amount of time checking the stats to see just what browsers......
- Leading browser coders get together on internet security This is one of those stories that you never thought you'd see (especially after the Microsoft-Netscape "wars")... Developers from four of the most prominent web browsers, Internet Explorer, Mozilla/Firefox, Opera and Konqueror (much of the foundations for Safari are in the Konqueror codebase)... have got together and talked about different......
- How to Remove LinkSafeness | LinkSafeness Removal Guide LinkSafeness is a rogue security application that sports the new design that the Wini family of Rogue Antivirus has been using. It is usually installed through sites that claim you need a video codec or flash player update in order to view a video clip. Once established on your system......
- Attracting Free Blog Traffic There are plenty of ways that you can attract free blog traffic if you know what to do. First and foremost, you should be hosting your own blog to earn free blog traffic, rather than having your blog hosted by WordPress, Blogger or another similar platform. There are stories floating......
- Brief History of Concertinas A concertina is a free reed acoustic musical instrument, falling in the same family as the accordion and the harmonica. The concertina musical instrument has buttons and bellows much in the same was as an accordion does, however the buttons typically exist on both ends rather than just on a......
- Web Developments Gone are the times of looking out the web at our desk with our PCs or in a Wi-Fi hotspot with our laptops. With the usage of Tablets (iPad) and Smartphones, there is no such thing as a restrict to the place customers are comfortably looking the web. According to......
- How to create a redirect page, or creating a redirect page has been updated
- Firefox 1.5 vulnerability
- Microsoft Issues advisory on Powerpoint flaw
- More on Explorer vulnerability
- Share This Plugin not Working in Some Themes