Incidents.org is reporting on an advisory for users of lynx. For those of you that don’t know lynx, it is a text based web browser used in text only terminal environments. I’ve used lynx from time to time to see what websites look like to a text only reader to help design towards better accessibility. Anyway, the three of you using it to browse the web with need to upgrade… (please, it’s a joke…)
The vulnerability is described at idefense.com. It appears that a new development version of lynx has been released which fixes the problem. (Development version 2.8.6dev.15)
The problem is found in 2.8.5 and earlier versions of lynx. A workaround is suggested as follows.
Disable “lynxcgi” links by specifying the following directive in
Joke above aside, lynx can be a useful, quick browser. I’ve used it many times in a script that evaluates content on a web page. (Say, testing to see if a page has the expected text on it.)
(Maybe next time I’ll get into the vi/emacs holy wars….)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Try another web browser - Mozilla Firefox Most people use Internet Explorer for windows and why not? It's preinstalled on every Windows PC. Well, there are a number of reasons to consider using another product. One is security. I'm not about to say that open source software does not have security vulnerabilities. It does. I have found......
- Internet Explorer 7 on linux Haven't had the chance to try this one firsthand yet, although I've been watching for this. You may be familiar with ies4linux which is a script that uses wine to download/install multiple versions of Internet Explorer on a linux install. (But why oh why would you do this?) For many......
- Beware: Wolves in sheeps clothing found on different sites (security scams) This is another "wolf in sheeps clothing" alert. The Sunbelt blog has information and tips on a number of other sites that are posing as either the Windows security center page, or a page not found error. The windows security center spoof once again claims the following "Attention! Your system......
- Why Produce Links? A link building, or creating backlinks, is a strategy to get site readers to your website. The concept was started by Google stating that in a case where one specific internet site features a back link which points to some various other websites. Which means that the connecting webpage......
- World Wide Web Security Essentials Is Not A Real Spyware Remover. It Resembles The Functions And Looks World wide web Security Essentials is not a real spyware remover. It resembles the functions and looks of genuine spyware removal software but has no capacity to eliminate any virus, trojan or malware. Web Security Essentials is the newest addition to the growing list of rogue Antivirus programs. Internet Security......
- Brief History of Concertinas A concertina is a free reed acoustic musical instrument, falling in the same family as the accordion and the harmonica. The concertina musical instrument has buttons and bellows much in the same was as an accordion does, however the buttons typically exist on both ends rather than just on a......
- How to create a redirect page, or creating a redirect page has been updated
- Firefox 1.5 vulnerability
- Microsoft Issues advisory on Powerpoint flaw
- More on Explorer vulnerability
- Share This Plugin not Working in Some Themes