Incidents.org is reporting on an advisory for users of lynx. For those of you that don’t know lynx, it is a text based web browser used in text only terminal environments. I’ve used lynx from time to time to see what websites look like to a text only reader to help design towards better accessibility. Anyway, the three of you using it to browse the web with need to upgrade… (please, it’s a joke…)
The vulnerability is described at idefense.com. It appears that a new development version of lynx has been released which fixes the problem. (Development version 2.8.6dev.15)
The problem is found in 2.8.5 and earlier versions of lynx. A workaround is suggested as follows.
Disable “lynxcgi” links by specifying the following directive in
Joke above aside, lynx can be a useful, quick browser. I’ve used it many times in a script that evaluates content on a web page. (Say, testing to see if a page has the expected text on it.)
(Maybe next time I’ll get into the vi/emacs holy wars….)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Network Security guide for the home or small business network - Part 20 heterogeneous networks One thing I've already mentioned in this serious is using alternative programs like Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, or Thunderbird, Eduora instead of Outlook Express. Even if you're not using alternative software as your primary web browser, email program there are advantages to having networks with mixed software, operating......
- Leading browser coders get together on internet security This is one of those stories that you never thought you'd see (especially after the Microsoft-Netscape "wars")... Developers from four of the most prominent web browsers, Internet Explorer, Mozilla/Firefox, Opera and Konqueror (much of the foundations for Safari are in the Konqueror codebase)... have got together and talked about different......
- How to Remove LinkSafeness | LinkSafeness Removal Guide LinkSafeness is a rogue security application that sports the new design that the Wini family of Rogue Antivirus has been using. It is usually installed through sites that claim you need a video codec or flash player update in order to view a video clip. Once established on your system......
- FireFox 3 FireFox 3 Launches Download Day Arrives Today June 17th at 10AM PST marks the long promised FireFox 3.0 Download Day Release. Up to 5 million downloads are expected to occur which if reached, would set a Guinness World Record for the most single piece of software downloads in a single......
- Web Site Design What Fonts To Utilize Since lawyer website design, its difficult never to get bored using the same old fonts day time in and day out with every new? or not consequently new? lawyer website design. Of course, lawyer website design is an innovative job, but how can we let the creativity flow whenever were......
- Why Choose The Best Web Browser For Online Security Web browser is the prime software to connect yourself to the world wide web. Now most of the companies are increasingly putting more and more services on their website and ask their customer to take active part online. Secured browser means keeping your computer free from the virus, spyware and......
- How to create a redirect page, or creating a redirect page has been updated
- Firefox 1.5 vulnerability
- Microsoft Issues advisory on Powerpoint flaw
- More on Explorer vulnerability
- Share This Plugin not Working in Some Themes