This is one that comes in handy a lot. Like many things in computing there are a number of ways to accomplish this. My favorite though is one fo the simplest.
But first, it’s probably worth asking why you would want a redirect page and just clarify what I mean. Let’s say you’ve moved your main site entry page. It used to be homepage.html and now it’s index.php. You don’t want traffic to be going to homepage.html and browsing the old site, or you want to get rid of it entirely and make them come to index.php. If they just bookmarked your domain name it’s probably no big deal, the webserver will automatically serve up the correct page, but IF they bookmarked homepage.html specifically (www.yourdomain.com/homepage.html) then your visitors will see an error 404 page not found. Some might be clever and remove the page name looking to see what else is there, but don’t count on that.
So you want a page that takes someone visiting it (say we name it homepage.html) and moves them to your main page. Here’s an easy way.
Create a very simple web document…
That’s the minimum we need for a blank web page. Now, between <head> and </head> add a line like this.
<meta http-equiv=”refresh” CONTENT=”5; URL=http://pageoraddressyouwanttoredirectto”>
Basically this is a meta tag that redirects the browser automatically. It takes two variables after Content…. the first is how many seconds before the redirect and the second is the address that you’re redirecting to. Now, if you want someone to read a message on the page, you might choose 10 or 15 seconds. If you just want to move them, I’ll choose 0 sometimes. 5 is enough to read the text that we might place to explain.
Between the <body> and </body> tags insert a line like this.
<p> You are being redirected to the correct page. If you’re browser doesn’t automatically redirect please click the link below </p>
<a href=”http://pageoraddressyouwanttoredirectto”>My new Page</a>
At this point save it and your done. Of course, you can get fancier, theme it to match your new site, add a title, etc. etc. But it can be a VERY simple start and maybe hang on to those that are following outdated links (or search engine crawlers that might reindex your site.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Backing up and restoring MySQL databases In the past few days I've been working on an automated backup system for both my site databases and a few others. I thought I'd take a bit to go through what I've done. It's really simple, but I suspect there are some that either don't realise it's this simple,......
- Search rankings and "where you stand" Search engine rankings are one of the concepts that I think is vaguely understood. It's amazing to me how a subtle change in a series of search terms (or quoting a pair of words) can so drastically alter the results. Let's say you're searching for discount shoes, there's a difference......
- Google search engine crawling experiment Recently I've had an experiment with the way Google crawls a site. I had a client site that had not been spidered in spite of being submitted to Google a good while back. I looked at the site and saw nothing amiss. There was plenty of text on the page......
- Profile Backlinks For Serps Building profile backlinks is really a speedy approach to get backlinks from high page rank domains to your site. Profile backlinks could be identified on most forums and several social networking sites and in most circumstances they are dofollow backlinks. When I 1st began out in Search engine optimization and......
- Should You Use Free Blogging Sites? There are certainly many blogging sites online today. It has become the biggest trend in communications for business and for personal reasons. A blog is a wonderful business tool that allows you to build a presence online as an expert in your field and develop a following of loyal readers.......
- Ebay Bought Me A Laptop! Check out the new laptop I got courtesy of Ebay.com! No, I didn't buy a laptop on ebay, but I did use the money ebay sent me to buy a really nice notebook. You can learn more about the configuration of the 16 inch intel core 2 duo HP......
- Web translation
- Saving you from yourself or specifying which index file to use with apache
- Custom Error Pages with .htaccess
- Preventing web crawlers from indexing everything
- Virtual Server on Apache to listen on an alternate port