This is one that comes in handy a lot. Like many things in computing there are a number of ways to accomplish this. My favorite though is one fo the simplest.
But first, it’s probably worth asking why you would want a redirect page and just clarify what I mean. Let’s say you’ve moved your main site entry page. It used to be homepage.html and now it’s index.php. You don’t want traffic to be going to homepage.html and browsing the old site, or you want to get rid of it entirely and make them come to index.php. If they just bookmarked your domain name it’s probably no big deal, the webserver will automatically serve up the correct page, but IF they bookmarked homepage.html specifically (www.yourdomain.com/homepage.html) then your visitors will see an error 404 page not found. Some might be clever and remove the page name looking to see what else is there, but don’t count on that.
So you want a page that takes someone visiting it (say we name it homepage.html) and moves them to your main page. Here’s an easy way.
Create a very simple web document…
That’s the minimum we need for a blank web page. Now, between <head> and </head> add a line like this.
<meta http-equiv=”refresh” CONTENT=”5; URL=http://pageoraddressyouwanttoredirectto”>
Basically this is a meta tag that redirects the browser automatically. It takes two variables after Content…. the first is how many seconds before the redirect and the second is the address that you’re redirecting to. Now, if you want someone to read a message on the page, you might choose 10 or 15 seconds. If you just want to move them, I’ll choose 0 sometimes. 5 is enough to read the text that we might place to explain.
Between the <body> and </body> tags insert a line like this.
<p> You are being redirected to the correct page. If you’re browser doesn’t automatically redirect please click the link below </p>
<a href=”http://pageoraddressyouwanttoredirectto”>My new Page</a>
At this point save it and your done. Of course, you can get fancier, theme it to match your new site, add a title, etc. etc. But it can be a VERY simple start and maybe hang on to those that are following outdated links (or search engine crawlers that might reindex your site.)
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Translating web pages I don't know if I've mentioned it before here, but languages are one of the things that fascinate me. I've studied Spanish, German and French. Although right now I would barely be able to recognize a handful of words in German and French. Of late, spanish has been the language......
- Google search engine crawling experiment Recently I've had an experiment with the way Google crawls a site. I had a client site that had not been spidered in spite of being submitted to Google a good while back. I looked at the site and saw nothing amiss. There was plenty of text on the page......
- The Google Problem, or why I'm starting to use MSN and Yahoo more. This weekend has been a bit of an introspective for me on why google is still the primary search engine I use. I know, I've been a big "fan(?)" of google for quite some time, I've obviously incorporated many of their products into my pages and used Google for 99%......
- Search Engines Future Ever since Google started growing around the turn of the millennium, they have been updating their algorithms and hardware to give their users the best experience possible. On the opposite side of that, spammers have been constantly finding new ways to abuse the system to rank for very competitive......
- What You Must Know Before You Have A Website Designed. In a time where money is extremely tight and all potential buyers are looking for the best deal, a website is no longer an option, but a requirement in order to be a successful business owner. It really doesn’t matter if your business is small or large, provide HVAC services......
- Web Site Design And System: Staking The Island Inside An Sea Of Data If it were that easy then a internet is sure to have a great deal more websites up now than it already does. The strategy for one's website ought to be approached much being a chess game. Know how to position your pieces in a way to attain maximum benefit.......
- Web translation
- Saving you from yourself or specifying which index file to use with apache
- Custom Error Pages with .htaccess
- Preventing web crawlers from indexing everything
- Virtual Server on Apache to listen on an alternate port