AntiKeep is a rogue antivirus application from the same family as ReAnti and AntiAdd which we’ve written about in the last few days. Like many of these rogue application they will try to trick you into consenting to install it, or install without your permission. They will claim that there are viruses and problems on your computer that can only be fixed when you purchase their software. With all of these rogue antivirus applications you shouldn’t trust the claims that the software makes and should work to remove it as soon as possible. Read on for how to remove antikeep.
Among the warnings that you will see from this rogue are the following:
Security Center Alert!
Your computer is being attacked by an Internet Virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan-dropper or similar.
Do you want AntiKeep to block this attack?
Your computer is infected with spyware. It could damage your critical files or expose your private data on the Internet. Click here to register your copy of AntiKeep and remove spyware threats from your PC.
730 SPYWARE Found
AntiKeep has detected 730 Critical SPYWARE Objects while scanning the system. Following object will shortly interrupt system running by:
! Annoying advertisements wasting your traffic.
! Slow page downloading speed. Web browser is not working properly.
! Cyber thieves get access to credit card.
! Criminals will steal your personal data and photos.
! Hackers will get access to emails box, personals, hosting and Internet services. They will use your computer and IP address for illegal purposes.
Register AntiKeep to block or remove threatening objects. Click “Clean” to register the version to render revealed threats.
The first thing you may wish to try with the uninstall of AntiKeep is to go to the control panel and make use of add/remove programs. You will likely not be able to remove it this easily, but it is always the first thing you should try. If it does uninstall this way you should follow it up with a scan of your computer with either malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware and a scan with a trusted antivirus scanner such as housecall online or avg, avira, etc.
You will probably want to block the following site if you have multiple computers accessing the internet (or to prevent future reinfections.)
You can find a link to download malwarebytes antimalware from my virus removal toolkit page. While there you may also wish to download process explorer as you may need it further in the removal process. If you are unable to install malwarebytes you may try the following things: 1) rename the installer from mbam-setup.exe to something like firefox.exe and retry the install/update and scan. 2) reboot into safe mode with networking and try to install, update and scan. 3) follow the next step which will be to kill off the running processes associated with this rogue and then retry your install, update and scan after that step.
The following programs are associated with antikeep and should be killed off using the task manager. If you are unable to launch the task manager try the following: 1) copy and paste the program taskmgr.exe to the desktop and then rename it to something else. (iexplore.exe) then try launching this renamed program. 2) reboot into safe mode and see if the following programs are running. 3) use process explorer to kill off the following processes:
The following files and folders should be deleted for a manual removal of AntiKeep:
%docs%All UsersStart MenuPrograms\AntiKeepAntiKeep.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuPrograms\AntiKeepHomepage.lnk
%docs%All UsersStart MenuProgramsAntiKeepUninstall.lnk
After the above files you should follow up with a scan of your computer with malwarebytes antimalware or superantispyware and a follow up scan with a trusted antivirus product to make sure you have completely removed antikeep.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- How to Remove SecurityFighter | Security Fighter Removal SecurityFighter is making the rounds as yet another rogue security application. It installs itself via trojans and web popups and creates files that it then claims are viral and need to be cleaned out for your computer to be safe. Of course, they never can do that without you first......
- How to Remove AntiTroy | AntiTroy Removal Guide AntiTroy is a rogue antivirus application that is usually installed through trojans that are masquerading as a video codec update or flash player update. It usually installs without the computer users permission and will complain about many security issues with your pc. It will claim that there are virus infected......
- How to Remove Personal Protector | Personal Protector Removal Guide Personal Protector is a rogue antivirus program that is advertised through aggressive advertising and fake scan sites. Fake scan sites are web pages that upon loading appear to be running a virus scan or other check of your local computer. In reality these are usually simply an animation and every......
- How to Remove a Car Stereo [/caption]One of the most inexpensive methods to upgrading a car stereo system, is removing the car stereo yourself, and then installing the new stereo. The main stereo unit is the most often changed out component. The time that it takes can take between an hour to a full afternoon. The......
- Combating Computer Espionage Combating Computer EspionageCombating Computer Espionage In some cases, spies as well as covert operations are found in war grounds or politically tense regions. Now in spite of everything, you can find spies in addition to covert operations running undetected within your personal computer system as you use your computer along......
- How to Remove Antivirus 2009, Spyware Guard 2008 and Other Malware My wife, kids, and I spent this past Christmas at my parents' house. It wasn't long after we arrived before I gravitated to their computer to check my email, read the news, check the stock market, etc. Much to my dismay, I found a barrage of malware, spyware, and......
- How to Remove SiteAdware | SiteAdware Removal Guide
- How to Remove ShieldSafeness | ShieldSafeness Removal Guide
- How to Remove TRE Antivirus | TRE Antivirus Removal Guide
- How to Remove IGuardPC | IGuardPC Removal Guide
- How to Remove APCSecure | APCSecure Removal Guide