The last entry in this series I looked at lulu.com which offers on-demand book publishing for those looking to publish their own book. The level of entry at lulu.com is nothing, no setup fee and they take fixed cost plus 20% of your profit which all told is not a bad deal.
This time around I’m looking at iUniverse.com which is backed by Barnes & Noble. They do charge to get started. The cheapest of their packages is $299 for those that aren’t interested in distribution of their work. (Just making it available through the iUniverse.com store.)
Among the features of this level of publishing are…
* Your choice from our template cover designs
* Paperback formatting
* Volume discounts for author book purchases
* One (1) free paperback copy of your book
* ISBN assignment
* Inclusion in the iUniverse online bookstore
* One-on-one author support
* Non-exclusive contract
As I recall the lulu.com fee for an ISBN number was $35. Just a straight up comparison of the two for a small self publisher wanting print on demand books… I’d probably still be leaning towards lulu.com The catch with either (at this level) would be promotion. ISBN number or not that doesn’t mean you’ll get distributed. If you’re just looking at availability to friends, family and the occasional website visitor, then the bigger packages (with distribution) probably wouldn’t be worth it to you anyway. The big advantage I see is that with lulu.com there is no up-front cost for publishing your work. e-books can be published for free.
The best conclusion I could draw is that iUniverse and lulu.com are likely targeting slight different audiences. Global distribution is possible through lulu.com and the price certainly makes it approachable for anyone. iUniverse has some features of the pricier packages that would probably fine tune a work for publishing. (Editorial evaluation, custom designed cover, marketing kit, etc.) If those value added service pique your interest, then iUniverse may be worth a look for on demand book publishing.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Gmail Virus scanning and more I saw a link yesterday about Gmail adding virus scanning to their featureset. It's very good to see, they have very good junk filtering at this point and had a blanket policy that .exe's were banned (which would stop a good percentage of the bugs.) Anyway, it's good to see......
- Ever want to publish a book? This is a WOW idea. This article at the Financial Mirror, talks about Bob Young, the founder of Red Hat Linux, and his latest venture. The venture is called Lulu and if you'll pardon me it's a "Lulu" of an idea. Basically, if you have a book you would like......
- Book Publishing in small quantities or on demand lulu.com This may be the first in a series of several profiles looking at different ways to get published online. The internet has been a disruptive technology for so many industries. Book publishing is one of those. Used to you would submit a manuscript to publishers shopping around for someone to......
- Want To Sell Used Books On Line ? You Better Know This! Know the Audience You Are Targeting. You might think your first act is to buy whatever books you can obtain and then start marketing them on your website. In the short run this can work but you might require a better long term plan. While it is true that selling......
- Nine Action Self-Publishing System - A Step-By-Step Stroll Through To Composing A Guide About Your Organization Total Product Blueprint ReviewListed below are the 9 simple steps involved with self-publishing a book. Usually it seems that the selection to write a guide comes properly previously the know-how required to finish the job. With this instance it is really possessing the motivation to write a guide to marketplace,......
- Tips to Learn Learn Photography Several persons are interested in the way to learn photography to create lovely photographs of the pictures that they select. Some of these people would like to be a professional photographer while others enjoy taking photographs using their best rated digital camera like Canon Powershot digital camera just for the......
- Book Publishing in small quantities or on demand lulu.com
- Ever want to publish a book?
- Free OpenOffice.org training videos