I haven’t checked to see if these are already on other block lists for the WMF exploit, but the following addresses are advised to be blocked (from f-secure)….
The “unregister workaround” is the best at this point because it will prevent ANY file extension image being used to trigger the exploit. It is possible for other image types to be used.
1. Click Start, click Run, type “regsvr32 -u %windir%system32shimgvw.dll”
(without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
2. A dialog box appears to confirm that the un-registration process has succeeded.
Click OK to close the dialog box.
Impact of Workaround: The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will no longer be started
when users click on a link to an image type that is associated with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- WMF exploit situation summary... Since there's been quite a bit of flux the last couple of days I thought I'd try to "reset" the situation and give a general overview of where we stand now with regards to the recent WMF zero-day exploit. 1st there is a vulnerability in the way Windows renders WMF......
- Windows 98 and the WMF exploit I've seen breathless headlines that say "Windows PCs face 'huge' virus threat; Affects every MICROSOFT OS shipped since 1990..." and really would like to try to clarify (again) what the situation is. Yes, the bug or vulnerability that's currently being exploited exists as far back as Windows 3.0, but as......
- Workaround for the critical WMF zero-day exploit The Windows Meta File (WMF) zero-day (0-day) exploit is apparently, VERY nasty, no user intervention required (unless running firefox or opera). Just VISITING a malicous site (viewing a malicious email with image...) would be enough to get the system owned. It sounds as though a FULL reinstall is the best......
- WordPress Plugins These Wordpress plugins are offered by the Blog Traffic Exchange. Enjoy Related Websites / Related Posts Cloud based multi-site related posts plugin. Traffic balancing algorithm to ensure equality based on traffic. Randomization to spread the effect. New traffic opportunities every 24 hours. Increase your traffic today, join the Blog Traffic......
- How To Secure Your Wordpress Blog Security is always a major concern of bloggers and online business owners using a wordpress platform. Wordpress developers also emphasize a lot on security in every upgrade. However, even then vulnerabilities still occur. It can be your fault or your Web host fault. Before a hacker breaks into your wordpress......
- 5 Free Security Softwares - Must Use Here are 5 Free Security Softwares that you can use to combat your fear against Adwares, Viruses, Trojans, etc. 1.Avast Home Edition: Best Free Antivirus Avast is one of the best antiviruses I recommend to my friends. It is free and has many features which many of the Antiviruses lack.......
- WMF 0-day update
- Microsoft releases patch early for WMF exploit
- Workaround for the critical WMF zero-day exploit
- Workaround for zeroday WMF exploit
- WMF exploit situation summary…