I haven’t checked to see if these are already on other block lists for the WMF exploit, but the following addresses are advised to be blocked (from f-secure)….
The “unregister workaround” is the best at this point because it will prevent ANY file extension image being used to trigger the exploit. It is possible for other image types to be used.
1. Click Start, click Run, type “regsvr32 -u %windir%system32shimgvw.dll”
(without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
2. A dialog box appears to confirm that the un-registration process has succeeded.
Click OK to close the dialog box.
Impact of Workaround: The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will no longer be started
when users click on a link to an image type that is associated with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Total Security Antivirus Removal Total Security Antivirus is another rogue security application that poses as legitimate antivirus software to dupe people into installing and then paying for it. It is related to Antivirus 360 and is perhaps the followup software from the same group. This particular pest is possibly installing itself onto systems by......
- Microsoft vulnerability whack-a-mole continues..... Translation - Microsoft patched one vulnerability another surfaces.... Incidents.org brings us the frustrating news.... If you remember the month of browser bugs series of exploits back in July, there was a denial of service there that appears to have code execution after all. Coincidence or not, it got publicly released......
- Windows 98 and the WMF exploit I've seen breathless headlines that say "Windows PCs face 'huge' virus threat; Affects every MICROSOFT OS shipped since 1990..." and really would like to try to clarify (again) what the situation is. Yes, the bug or vulnerability that's currently being exploited exists as far back as Windows 3.0, but as......
- What is Patch Tuesday? Excellent explanation of Patch Tuesday by TMI Engineering Patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of each month, the day on which Microsoft releases security patches. Starting with Windows 98, Microsoft included a "Windows Update" system, that would check for patches to Windows and its components which Microsoft would release intermittently. With......
- Toms Takes Colonial in Surprise Victory Everyone was shocked by the win of David Toms over Charlie Wi. Even Toms was shocked enough to make the comment that he must be “dreaming”. He has not seen a victory in five years and was afraid that he would not see another one. He was definitely not expected......
- WordPress Plugins These Wordpress plugins are offered by the Blog Traffic Exchange. Enjoy Related Websites / Related Posts Cloud based multi-site related posts plugin. Traffic balancing algorithm to ensure equality based on traffic. Randomization to spread the effect. New traffic opportunities every 24 hours. Increase your traffic today, join the Blog Traffic......
- WMF 0-day update
- Microsoft releases patch early for WMF exploit
- Workaround for the critical WMF zero-day exploit
- Workaround for zeroday WMF exploit
- WMF exploit situation summary…