It looks like a list of Sony Music titles with the recent onerous DRM “rootkit” is being gathered. The Sunbelt blog has links to several lists. The EFF has a list here, there are two others though out there, here and here.
Among other things, another post mentions the stupid things Sony-BMG leadership has had to say on the matter…
“Most people, I think, don’t even know what a Rootkit is, so why should they care about it?”
and, it’s also noted the installer can be bypassed by pressing the shift key when loading the cd (to skip autorun.) (Does telling this actually violate the DMCA – spreading information on circumventing copy protection?)
The copy protection technology was called XCP. It appears that they are identifiable on a Mac (or I would assume linux machine?) by an extra data session on the disc. Here’s the details…
EFF has confirmed the presence of XCP on the following titles (each has a data session, easily read on a Macintosh, that includes a file called “VERSION.DAT” that announces what version of XCP it is using). If you have one of these CDs, and you have a Windows PC (Macs are totally immune, as usual), you may have caught the XCP bug.
When I first saw the list I was tempted to go and seek one of these out to find how it behaves on a linux box….
Another update this evening is that Computer associates “pest patrol” now classifies this as spyware. (Given all the problems on removal – I wonder how CA deals with it?)
What follows from Spyware Confidential is a list of steps to remove the bug…
User fills out online form and registers for download.
First email arrives.
User has to click link in email.
User has to download an activeX control which sends out unknown data to First4Internet. Note that activeX controls are generally considered to be security issues also.
User must provide more information.
Second email arrives telling the user to wait again.
Third email arrives eventually.
User has to click link and download second ActiveX control in order to download uninstaller.
What happens next is unclear. Curry reported as of this morning, CA has not been able to get the second activeX or an uninstaller to run.
Computer Associates has a page on disabling autoplay which is the feature that allows the software to load when the cd is inserted into they cdrom drive.
Related PostsRelated Posts
- Developers meet Marketing - Marketing developers.... Sometimes you just want to cry... I found this email exchange via sunbeltblog.... Essentially, the product manager and marketing director at some unknown company have just become aware that the "About" box in their program ACTUALLY SHOWS the product version and BUILD number. They think that's just too much information......
- Sony and Amazon to buyback cds It looks as though the recall is being detailed for the Sony cds that use the XCP Digital Rights Management copy protection. Sony has setup a page where customers can request an exchange. Sony will swap cds with DRM for cds without the DRM software. Also, Amazon.com is offering refunds......
- Wikipedia Class action suit? ZDNet's the Open Source blog is talking about a possible Classaction suit against the wikipedia. He calls it the next SCO suit and summarizes things like this... The SCO suits were an attempt to shut down open source based on the idea that everything is owned, or comes from something......
- No Far More Boring Weblog Templates For Your WordPress Blog I am positive that if you are visiting this page, you will be interested in genesis theme framework. Probably the hardest aspect of WordPress to grasp for new customers is that there's no set "look" to the site it produces - the content and design and style are fully separated,......
- Blog Plug-Ins to Get More Readers Wordpress specifically has a number of plug-ins for blogging that will allow you to attract more readers to your blog. Some of the best blog plug-ins for increasing traffic to come in three main categories: Social networking and bookmarking Posting across many different platforms RSS feed helpers BTE Related Websites:......
- Facebook List Messages - 2011's Powerful Alternative to Email Marketing Strikes Hard, and is more than just Effective. [/caption] Internet Marketing Strategies, particularly Email Marketing, have seen an overhaul of sorts this past year. Rising standards in Anti-Spam Compliance Regulations have forced most email service providers like Aweber, MailChimp and iContact to reevaluate their levels of "leniency" towards unsubscribe rates and spam complaints, and enforce stricter monitoring......
- OTHER Sony DRM software has security flaws too.
- The best way to get rid of the Sony DRM rootkit
- SONY DRM rootkit – the gift that keeps on giving
- The wolf in sheeps clothing, software that claims to be anti-spyware, but installs more spyware on your pc
- DRM => spyware